[Mb-civic] Go easy on Blair

Jack Sullivan jack at visit.ie
Sat Jul 9 01:46:42 PDT 2005

Dear Mr Burger:

Slowly, like a snail racing across the yard, the Cheese is thawing to a discussion re: the desirable character of world class leader.

Tony Blair showed true leadership yesterday when he declared that the work
of the G8 summit in addressing poverty and global climate change was now
more important than ever, that the terrorists would not deflect the work of
the political leaders in addressing deep economic and ecological problems
that gravely threaten the planet and that stoke the violence and conflicts
of our times.

And you wrote:

Personally, I could never lower myself to write such slop about those 2, or
several other, "great world leaders".  Such "praise", at least for Bush,
remains not only unwarranted, but a continuing catalyst to propel such a man
who, at least here in America, has fashioned a system to make the poor more
poor and the rich Gods, if they are not already.  I, personally, don't seem
to have very much admiration for very many "world leaders" these days, G8,
etc etc etc, seeing as they got us into all this crap to begin with.  I also
don't think I would describe "the Iraq war" as "gravely misconceived and
dangerous".  While that is a pretty good description of it, it remains a
giant Understatement of the actual situation, as American G.I.s continue to
come back in body bags, and one-hundred thousand Iraqi Civilians remains
buried somewhere underneath the dirt.

I note Jeffery's suggestion, so apropos mine - before London, that Blair is a leader when we need one.
A Cheesy negative sentence avoids a protein-rich constructive analysis.
Could you perhaps take some time and mull over what you positively expect in an elected, world-class leader if you meet one?

In a time-space continuum, is destruction in Iraq any different than destruction elsewhere - say Hiroshima Japan?

Dublinjack