[Mb-civic] CBC News - BRITAIN BEGINS HUNT FOR BOMBERS

CBC News Online nwonline at toronto.cbc.ca
Fri Jul 8 17:15:40 PDT 2005

This email has been sent to you by harry.sifton at sympatico.ca
The following is a news item posted on CBC NEWS ONLINE
at http://www.cbc.ca/news
BRITAIN BEGINS HUNT FOR BOMBERS
WebPosted Fri Jul  8 05:31:23 2005

---With the recovery of 13 bodies from the remains of a double-decker
bus, the death toll from the London bombings has topped 50, the city's
police commissioner said on Friday.

"We can confirm now that there were 13 people killed in the bus," Ian
Blair said during a news briefing. It's the first official death toll
from that bombing.

As many as 700 people were injured, including 22 critically, when bombs
went off at three subway stations and on one bus during Thursday
morning's rush hour.

Authorities are warning the number of dead will rise further as a number
of bodies remain trapped on a train in one subway tunnel. Blair said it's
unlikely to surpass 100.

"The entire weight of the anti-terrorism branch of Scotland Yard is
aimed implacably at the investigation," said Blair at a news briefing
on Friday.

The police commissioner said there is no suggestion the attacks were
the result of suicide bombers, although he said no possibility will be
ruled out.

Blair also said he believes the attacks were carried out by more than
one person.

Each of the four bombs contained roughly 4.5 kilograms of high
explosives, and they were likely on the floor of the subways and floor or
seat of the bus, said Blair.

   Aldgate East and Liverpool Street subway &#8211 bomb located in
   train's third car. Russell Square and King's Cross subway &#8211 bomb
   located in train's first car. Edgware Road subway &#8211 bomb located
   in train's second car. An unknown number of bodies are still in a
   train near the King's Cross and Russell Square subway stations. Police
   say they removed all the survivors from the scene, but left the bodies
   until the roof of the tunnel can be secured.

Based on evidence found at the bomb scenes, reports say timers were
likely used to detonate the bombs. However, because of poor reception in
underground subway stations, investigators don't believe cellphones were
used to set them off, as in the 2004 Madrid train bombings.

London's transit system is lined with thousands of closed-circuit
television cameras, giving investigators thousands of hours of
footage to view.

Foreign Secretary Jack Straw said Thursday that the attacks bore the
"hallmarks of an al-Qaeda-related attack."

An al-Qaeda-linked group posted a claim of responsibility on a website ,
but it hasn't been authenticated.

Blair said police don't know whether the claim is real, but that they are
"taking considerable note of it."

Blair warned the investigation would be "challenging" and asked for
patience. "Rushing the investigation could inhibit successful
prosecution."

 Subways, buses return to service

Meanwhile, Londoners returned to work Friday any way they could –
by car, foot, bicycle and transit.

Ten of the city's 12 subway lines have reopened with limited service on
the three lines that were bombed. Bus service returned to full strength,
with diversions around the area where the bus exploded.

However, it appears many in the city are choosing to stay home with
lighter than normal road traffic and normally packed buses reporting
handfuls of passengers.

Security officers are posted at the entrances of subway stations,
watching travellers as they enter.

Commuter Karsten Windhorst said his nerves were rattled.

"I just kept looking at people, which is the only thing I would say is a
bit odd about the whole day," said Windhorst. "You're just sort of very
aware about your environment and the people around you."

But Brenda Grandtry, who lived through years of IRA bombings, says London
will go on.

"I think you've just got to fight on. I mean if you just give up, then
you're just giving in to these people," she said.

The Queen viisted some of the victims on Friday.

"[Thursday's] bombings in London have deeply affected us all. I know
I speak for everyone in expressing my sympathy to those who have
been caught up in these events, and above all to the relatives and
friends of those who have lost their lives," she said after emerging
from the hospital.

The Queen was accompanied by Prince Charles and his wife Camilla.

Copyright (C) 2005 CBC. All rights reserved.