[Mb-civic] Bad Case for a Fight - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Fri Jul 8 06:20:10 PDT 2005

Bad Case for a Fight

By David Ignatius
Friday, July 8, 2005; Page A23

As a journalist, I'm angry that Judith Miller of the New York Times is
in jail today for trying to protect a confidential source. But I am also
angry that the press has allowed itself to be dragged into a no-win case
that will weaken our ability to protect true whistle-blowers and thereby
serve the public.

With the Valerie Plame leak investigation, the press has planted its
flag on the least favorable ground to fight the larger battle for
confidentiality. This is a case in which the sources weren't disclosing
wrongdoing by others but were allegedly doing wrong themselves by
blowing the cover of a CIA officer.

The journalists' position became even more awkward after special counsel
Patrick Fitzgerald compelled sworn testimony from senior White House
officials who were the likely leakers. If one of them had confessed, the
case would be over. But what seems possible is that one or more White
House officials who leaked information has denied under oath being the
source. If so, this is now an investigation of perjury or obstruction of
justice.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/07/AR2005070701900.html?nav=hcmodule