[Mb-civic] Bush's Grievance - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Thu Jul 7 07:10:22 PDT 2005

Bush's Grievance

By David S. Broder
Thursday, July 7, 2005; Page A19

In gauging the momentous choice President Bush must make in choosing a
successor to Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, it is tempting to suppose that
his highest priority will be satisfying the conservative interest groups
that were unhappy with her rulings on abortion, affirmative action,
sodomy and other social issues.

It would be naive to suppose that the clamor from the right will not
weigh in his judgment. But my strong impression is that the constituency
that is most important is the one inside the White House -- the people
who share and, I believe, reflect the president's own deep sense of
grievance about the Democrats' past treatment of his judicial nominees.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/06/AR2005070602064.html