[Mb-civic] The Inescapable Digital Me - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Tue Jul 5 03:41:52 PDT 2005

The Inescapable Digital Me

By Richard Cohen
Tuesday, July 5, 2005; Page A13

In the future no one will ever die. This is what a friend once told me.
He said that as a person aged -- maybe when he got very old -- the
contents of his brain would be downloaded onto a computer disk and his
decrepit body would be discarded (or maybe recycled -- who knows?). Then
everything on the disk, which is to say our mind, our brain, our
personality with all its quirks and disorders, would be transferred to a
new, synthetic body, which would -- if servicing was done on schedule --
last approximately forever. I am here to say part of this has already
happened to me.

This startling revelation occurred to me the day Bob Woodward, Carl
Bernstein and Ben Bradlee confirmed that W. Mark Felt was -- as he
insisted -- Deep Throat. I took this news with my customary aplomb
because, among other things, I already thought I knew that Felt was
Throat. What I did not know was what, if anything, I was going to write
about it. A call from one of my alert editors solved my problem. It
turned out that in 1980, I had written a column suggesting that Felt was
Throat. Who knew?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/04/AR2005070400861.html?nav=hcmodule