[Mb-civic] Africans puzzled by Live8

Ian ialterman at nyc.rr.com
Mon Jul 4 20:27:41 PDT 2005

Lyle:

With all due respect, what makes you think that any large portion of those people give a rat's ass for poverty, or the Third World in general, or anything that doesn't affect them personally?  They were there to see a re-united Pink Floyd, or their favorite group, or whatever.  Sure, some of them - hopefully many - do care.  And yet even so, how many of those people will go beyond simply "caring" and maybe calling a telephone number, and actually do something - something active, something constructive, maybe even something that will cause them to put their own ass on the line.

I have to agree with Cheeseburger on this one.  Although I believe I am not being cynical, but realistic.

There is a difference between what we all did in the 60s and early 70s (and some of you even earlier) with regard to real, constructive action for the causes we believed in and fought for, and what the vast majority of those who attended Live8 (or even watched in on TV) do today.  They sit in their smug cozy homes, writing checks and thinking that that's going to save the world.

If I were a betting man, I would wager a hundred dollars to your penny that less than 5% (and I'm being generous) of the non-60s/70s people who attended Live8 have ever engaged in civil disobedience, gotten arrested, been handcuffed, and spent some time in a cell.

Sure, we were all "peace, love, light" and engaging in free sex, listening to CSN&Y, etc.  But all of us also knew when it was time to put those feelings into action - and we were prepared to put our freedom, if not our lives, on the line for them.  I daresay that very, very few of the "new generation" are willing to do that.

If you remember the movie "The Untouchables" with Kevin Costner and Sean Connery, Connery plays a hard-case cop who convinces Eliott Ness that he can't take on Capone "nicely": that he has to get dirty if he really wants to take him down.  Ness keeps ignoring that advice until Connery is shot down by Capone's men.  As Connery is dying, he tells Ness that the man Ness wants will be at the train station.  With his last breath - full of extreme indignation - Connery almost yells at Ness: "What are you prepared to do about it?"

That is the only question that matters where "causes" are concerned.  What are you prepared to do about it?  If all you are prepared to do is go to a concert and maybe hold up a placard, or call a telephone number, or write a check, that's fine.  But that is not "taking up a cause."

The degree to which one believes in and will fight for a cause is determined solely by what they are willing to suffer or sacrifice for that cause.  In my book, if one is not willing to at very least engage in active protest - including civil disobedience, and the very real possibility of beating, arrest and/or jail - then one should just shut up and merrily write that check.  However, if one truly believes in a cause, then one must be willing to die for it.  End of story.

Yes, it sounds harsh.  And I'm sorry if I'm bursting the "happy bubble" that these people are living in.  But the world is not a happy place.  And all of us know it.

Ultimately, I think you are so caught up in the seeming similarities between the protest movements of the 60s and the current "movement" that you are not being honest with yourself about the vast differences.

If the new generation wants to prove itself worthy of the mantle all of us carried as a result of our literal blood, sweat, pain and tears, then let's see if they follow up their "happy time" at Live8 with some real action.  If not, they are worse than poseurs; they are hypocrites and traitors to humanity.

Peace.