[Mb-civic] Justice O'Connor's Indelible Stamp - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sun Jul 3 08:49:55 PDT 2005

Justice O'Connor's Indelible Stamp

By Viet Dinh

Sunday, July 3, 2005; Page B07

In the coming days, many will no doubt tout Sandra Day O'Connor as the
pioneering first female Supreme Court justice. Most will point to her
importance as the pivotal middle justice on a divided court. And some
will accuse her of squandering her influence by not articulating and
hewing to a unified theory of the law of their liking. In all this, the
pundits may well be right in the description, but many will be wrong in
ascribing merit or blame. Justice O'Connor is, quite simply, a great judge.

In 1995 I and my three co-clerks to O'Connor engaged in a heated
discussion over some small point of law whose importance seemed
transcendental at the time. This was the mother of all debates, several
days of intense silences punctuated by heated discussions. The justice
knew, of course, having carried awkward luncheon conversations and
having interrupted several of our closed-door shouting matches. But she
let us continue without intervention. The next morning, she handed us a
two-page draft opinion -- concisely crafted, beautifully written and
articulating a clear answer based on her writings and intimations in
previous cases. Each of us combatants saw our conflicting points
considered, answered or accommodated in her elegant draft. All that was
left to do was to check the spelling, fill in the citations and go on
with our coffee.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/02/AR2005070200995.html