[Mb-civic] O'Connor Successor Debated - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sun Jul 3 08:45:04 PDT 2005

O'Connor Successor Debated
Views Differ on Whether a Female Replacement Is Needed

By Amy Argetsinger and Elizabeth Williamson
Washington Post Staff Writers
Sunday, July 3, 2005; Page A12

When she heard the name Sandra Day O'Connor for the first time in the
fall of 1981, it meant almost nothing to Eleanor Smeal, then president
of the National Organization for Women. All she knew was that O'Connor
was the new Supreme Court nominee of a president she hotly opposed --
and that O'Connor was a woman.

That was enough. After a few quick calls to O'Connor acquaintances in
Arizona, Smeal was on board. "We said, 'We believe she'll be there for
women,' " Smeal recalled.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/02/AR2005070201222.html