[Mb-civic] Justice for the Next Justice - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sat Jul 2 07:18:25 PDT 2005

Justice for the Next Justice

By John Cornyn

Saturday, July 2, 2005; Page A29

This week marks a historic occasion, not only for the U.S. Supreme
Court, but for America -- the retirement announcement of our nation's
first female Supreme Court justice. The process in the U.S. Senate for
considering her successor should reflect the best of the American
judiciary -- not the worst of American politics.

Justice O'Connor has provided a voice of judicial restraint on a number
of important issues on which the court was closely divided. Throughout
her 24 years on the nation's highest court, Sandra Day O'Connor worked
to restore common sense to our criminal justice system and foster due
regard for the powers reserved to the states under the Constitution.
Thanks to her, victims of crime are more likely to receive justice and
inner-city children are no longer constitutionally barred from access to
school choice programs. And although I have not always agreed with her
rulings, I have always felt a deep and abiding respect for her
commitment to public service and reverence for the law.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/01/AR2005070101788.html?nav=hcmodule