[Mb-civic] Israeli Satirist Ephraim Kishon Dies at 80

Cheeseburger maxfury at granderiver.net
Mon Jan 31 05:06:20 PST 2005

Israeli Satirist Ephraim Kishon Dies at 80

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-obit-kishon,0,4221235.story?coll=sns-ap-nationworld-headlines

In one Nazi camp, a German officer lined up Jewish inmates and shot dead one
in every 10, passing him by. He later managed to escape en route to the
Sobibor death camp, his son said.

Kishon later wrote of the experience: "They made a mistake -- they left one
satirist alive."

Kishon felt pleased with his success in Europe, particularly in Germany.

"He said, 'It's a great feeling that the children of my hangmen are my
admirers,'" Rafi Kishon said.

"He always had the feeling that he wasn't appreciated in Israel," Topol told
the Yediot Ahronot daily. "He spoke often of the native-born Israelis who he
felt were against him as a Hungarian immigrant."

Kishon won the nation's highest civilian award, the Israel Prize for
lifetime achievement, in 2003.