[Mb-civic] US: Monsanto "Seed Police" Scrutinise Farmers

Ian ialterman at nyc.rr.com
Sat Jan 29 19:17:33 PST 2005

It was only a matter of time.  I remember when the first article appeared regarding Monsanto's seed, and the restrictions they planned to put on it.  I thought it was absurd then, and think it is outrageous now.

One thing not mentioned in the article is that Monsanto also owns the proprietary rights to the infamous Bt potato: a potato that manufactures its own pesticide.  Think about that for a moment: they GE'd the potato's "DNA" so that it automatically creates its own pesticide.  Which means you can't possibly eat the potato without eating the pesticide.

Now, let me really scare you.  Bt potatos not only comprise over 75% of the potato chip market (not including "natural" and other "non-mainstream" chips), but are also used exclusively by McDonalds and other fast-food chains.  This means that all of those french fries - "billions and billions served" - are potentially genetically damaging to the human race.

And we're worried about the fat content?!

Peace.