[Mb-civic] Dean Jumps In

Michael Butler michael at michaelbutler.com
Tue Jan 11 15:51:36 PST 2005

News Home - Help

Dean to Seek Democratic Chairmanship

 Tue Jan 11,12:49 PM ET

By WILL LESTER, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON -  Former presidential candidate Howard Dean (news - web sites),
once the early front-runner for the Democratic nomination whose candidacy
stumbled, has decided to seek the party's chairmanship.

AP Photo

Slideshow: Democratic Party

Related Links

€
Dean Announces Candidacy for DNC Chair (Blog for America)

 "The Democratic Party needs a vibrant, forward-thinking, long-term presence
in every single state," Dean wrote in a letter to members of the Democratic
National Committee (news - web sites). "We must be willing to contest every
race at every level. We can only win when we show up."

 Dean's entry into the race appears to pre-empt another bid for the
presidency in 2008. The chairman's job carries a four-year term and Dean has
said that anyone who serves as chairman should be ruled out as a
presidential candidate.

 In his letter, Dean made it clear that he remains part of what he calls
"the Democratic wing of the Democratic Party," a phrase he borrowed from the
late Sen. Paul Wellstone of Minnesota.

 "That word ‹ 'values' ‹ has lately become a codeword for appeasement of the
right-wing fringe," Dean wrote. "But when the political calculations make us
soften our opposition to bigotry, or sign on to policies that add to the
burden of ordinary Americans, we have abandoned our true values."

 Dean joins a field that includes former Indiana Rep. Tim Roemer, former
Texas Rep. Martin Frost (news, bio, voting record), Democratic activists
Simon Rosenberg and Donnie Fowler, former Denver Mayor Wellington Webb and
former Ohio Democratic Party chairman David Leland.

 Throughout 2003, Dean was the leading Democrat for the presidential
nomination, securing the backing of former presidential candidate Al Gore
(news - web sites) and impressing party leaders with his ability to raise
millions ‹ and attract scores of followers ‹ through the Internet.

 His strong opposition to the Iraq (news - web sites) war energized
rank-and-file Democrats.

 But just a year ago, Dean's candidacy faltered in the Iowa caucuses as he
finished third behind Sen. John Kerry (news - web sites) of Massachusetts
and former Sen. John Edwards (news - web sites) of North Carolina. Dean's
bizarre "yeee-ah" shout during a post-caucus rally in Des Moines was played
over and over on television.

 Moderate Democrats have been searching for an alternative to Dean for the
chairmanship, concerned that the former governor would lead the party in a
more liberal direction. Some senior Democrats have approached current
chairman Terry McAuliffe about staying in the job.

 "Dean will have a tremendous edge with party insiders," said veteran
Democratic activist Donna Brazile, a DNC member. "But this race remains very
fluid. He will have to continue to work very hard to win the heart and soul
of the party."

 Longtime DNC member Susan Turnbull said Dean still has plenty of work to do
because DNC members are being cautious and want to know what the candidates
would do for the state parties.

 Democrats will vote on party chairman in early February.

 Story Tools

 Email Story

  Post/Read Msgs

   Formatted Story

Ratings:  Would you recommend this story?

 Not at all   1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5  Highly

 Copyright © 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information
contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten
or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated
Press.

Questions or Comments
Privacy Policy -Terms of Service - Copyright Policy - Ad Feedback