[Mb-civic] Self-Agrandizing? Re: To Lyle

Ian ialterman at nyc.rr.com
Mon Jan 10 18:44:56 PST 2005

Richard:

Exclusivist?  Yes.  "Offensive?"  Only if it is being offered, portrayed,
discussed or debated in an "offensive" manner, by an "offensive" person.  At
the risk of seeming to lack humility, I do not believe I fall into that
category.

As for "exclusivist" (or, even your word, "offensive"), why limit it to the
Judeo-Christian construct?  Do not all faiths claim to be "the" way?  Islam?
Taoism (which literally means, "the way")?  Zoroastrianism?  Even Hinduism
and Buddhism, which do not espouse a "God" as such, lay claim to being "the
way" to "enlightenment."  So why are you picking on Christianity?

Yes, Christianity has a "checkered" past, including some very horrible
"moments" (the Crusades, the Inquisition, etc.).  And yes, way too many of
its "leaders" (especially presently) are corrupt and self-serving, just like
the ultra-legalistic Temple Priests of Jesus' time.  And yes, way too many
of its adherents blindly follow those leaders, and are as misguided as to
what Judeo-Christianity was "meant" to be - what it can and should be, at
least as I (and, yes, many others) understand from Jesus' ministry and the
New Testament as it is - as it is possible to be.  And yes, ultimately
Christianity is "exclusivist" (in one sense; in another, it is the most
inclusivist faith that there could ever be; but that is another
conversation).

But that should not make it "offensive" any more than any other faith (i.e.,
most of them) that lays claim to "the" way.  Again, it is all in how the
faith is offered, portrayed and discussed that would seem to determine
whether it is "offensive" to someone.

In sending the apostles and disciples out to "preach the Gospel," Jesus
specifically tells them to offer it freely (i.e., without charge, including
room or board), and NOT to "force" it on anyone: to share it humbly,
lovingly and patiently and, if someone does not want to hear, to "shake the
dust from your feet" and move on.

There can hardly be anything LESS offensive than that.  And although too
many people (both clergy and lay) do not adhere to that command (and yes, it
was a command) - and not only attempt to "ram" it down others' throats, but
then condemn and judge if someone does not want to hear it - this is what I
mean by what Christianity has become, and what it was "meant" to be.  To
"judge" or "condemn" the entire faith simply because many (or even most) of
its adherents are misguided and only add to the problem of giving
Christianity a "bad name" does not mean that the faith itself is
"offensive," or even that its underlying tenets are "offensive."

What I find enormously hypocritical in Lyle's approach is that he claims a
high degree of enlightenment, yet he does more judging and condemning of
others' faiths than anyone else here.  Yet most people here seem quick to
jump to his defense by claiming his right to express his views, while they
ignore the hypocrisy and, yes, "meanness" in his approach.  There is
something truly disconcerting about that.

Peace.