[Mb-civic] Don't Be Left Behind

ean at sbcglobal.net ean at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 8 17:26:44 PST 2005

Don't Be Left Behind
By Russell Mokhiber and Robert Weissman

Have you heard of the Left Behind books?

They are books about the end times.

They are written by two evangelical Christians -- Tim LaHaye and Jerry B.
Jenkins.

Go into any Wal-Mart, or Costco or any of the big box stores, and you will
see them piled up in the book section. (Don't look in Wal-Mart for Jon
Stewart's best-selling America (The Book) or George Carlin's When Will
Jesus Bring the Pork Chops? -- the giant retailer deems them too
offensive.)

As soon as a new "Left Behind" book is released, it climbs the New York
Times bestseller list.

Number 12 is just out.

It's called Glorious Appearing, in which Jesus returns to earth.

It's the Second Coming.

The Left Behind books have sold more than 60 million copies.

And here's the story as we understand it:

During something called "The Rapture," Jesus snatches all the true
believers on earth and brings them up to heaven.

According to LaHaye, the word "rapture" comes from the Latin word "to
snatch."

After The Rapture, the rest of us -- Jews, Muslims, Hindus, not born
again Christians, and other non-believers -- are left here on earth to
face a fiery furnace during something called "The Tribulation."

To some evangelicals, to induce the second coming, it's important that the
Jewish temple be rebuilt on the Temple Mount in Jerusalem -- a site holy
to Jews, Christians and Muslims alike.

Building the temple on the Temple Mount could lead to World War III --
which maybe is the point.

Some evangelical Christians are now joining with extremist Jews to push
this agenda.

We had heard that President Bush was a born again Christian.

So, we went to the White House earlier this week and asked Scott
McLellan, the President's press secretary:

"Scott, on the Middle East -- many evangelical Christians in the United
States are supporting right-wing Jews in Israel who want to rebuild the
temple on the Temple Mount in Jerusalem. They (Evangelical Christians)
believe this is a prerequisite for Christ's return to earth.

They believe that when Christ returns to earth -- they call this The
Rapture -- He will take back with Him the true believers. And the rest --
the non-believers -- Jews, Muslims -- will be left behind to face a
violent death here on earth.

As a born again Christian, does the President support efforts to rebuild
the temple on the Temple Mount?"

Hearing this question, all of a sudden, Scott was in a hurry.

He mumbled something like, "I will be glad to take your question, and if
there is more, I will get back to you on that," ended the press
conference, and left the room.

This was unfortunate, because we also wanted to know -- does the
President believe in The Rapture and does he believe that during The
Rapture he will be snatched up and taken by Christ to heaven, or will he
be Left Behind to face a violent death here on earth?

That question will have to wait for another day.

In any event, that's not the point of this column.

We've been writing this column for six years now.

In 1999, we decided to compile the first couple of years of columns in a
book and we called it: Corporate Predators: The Hunt for Mega-Profits and
the Attack on Democracy (Common Courage Press, 1999).

That book sold about 10,000 copies.

Now we have pulled together our columns from the last couple of years
and
put these into a second book, titled On the Rampage: Corporate Predators
and the Destruction of Democracy (Common Courage Press).

This new book is a collection of our best writing over the past couple of
years, with cartoons by the award-winning political cartoonist Oliphant.

We call our two books the "On the Rampage" series of books.

The story of the On the Rampage series of books, in a nutshell, is this:

Faceless corporations are organized to institutionalize the supremacy of
money over human beings.

Corporations gain tremendous power and begin taking advantage of weak
human beings.

But instead of resigning themselves to eternal corporate hell on earth,
the human beings turn off their television sets, rub their eyes, refocus,
begin reading On the Rampage, and ask -- what the hell have we been
doing
all of these years?

And they begin to organize.

And so there is hope.

In this time of darkness, we ask that you light a candle by clicking here:

http://www.commoncouragepress.com/index.cfm?action=book&bookid=2
14

and buying our book -- read it, or give it as a holiday gift to friends,
relatives and compatriots.

Spread the word and don't be Left Behind.

Russell Mokhiber is editor of the Washington, D.C.-based Corporate
Crime
Reporter, http://www.corporatecrimereporter.com. Robert Weissman is
editor
of the Washington, D.C.-based Multinational Monitor,
http://www.multinationalmonitor.org. They are co-authors of On the
Rampage: Corporate Predators and the Destruction of Democracy
(Monroe,
Maine: Common Courage Press; http://www.commoncouragepress.com).

(c) Russell Mokhiber and Robert Weissman

This article is posted at:
<http://lists.essential.org/pipermail/corp-focus/2004/000189.html>

Focus on the Corporation is a weekly column written by Russell Mokhiber
and Robert Weissman. Please feel free to forward the column to friends or
repost the column on other lists. If you would like to post the column on
a web site or publish it in print format, we ask that you first contact us
(russell at nationalpress.com or rob at essential.org).

Focus on the Corporation is distributed to individuals on the listserve
corp-focus at lists.essential.org. To subscribe, unsubscribe or change your
address to corp-focus, go to:
message to corp-focus-admin at lists.essential.org with your request.

Focus on the Corporation columns are posted at
<http://www.corporatepredators.org>.

Postings on corp-focus are limited to the columns. If you would like to
comment on the columns, send a message to russell at nationalpress.com or
rob at essential.org.

--
You are currently on Mha Atma's Earth Action Network email list,
option D (up to 3 emails/day).  To be removed, or to switch options

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
   ---   George Orwell