[Mb-civic] To Al Baraka

Ian ialterman at nyc.rr.com
Tue Jan 4 19:36:03 PST 2005

Al Baraka:

Blessings and Peace.  First, thank you for your measured and peaceful response.  A minor quibble.  You make the assumption that I cherry-picked.  However, that is not the case, since I subscribe to the cite you offered initially as much as I subscribe to the one I offered in response.  Thus, no cherry-picking, which assumes the support of only one or the other; i.e., not giving "both sides" of a picture.  In this regard, I consider all "cherries" equally "tasty."

Ultimately, with regard to what I assume was your basic point - keeping one's faith "private" - I agree vis-a-vis the expression of one's faith per se.  However, I agree equally with the concept (not only Christian) of sharing one's faith with others, especially in the "ministry" sense of evangelizing - which, as I have stated ad nauseam, is to be done in a humble, patient, loving manner, and not in a badgering, ram-it-down-one's-throat fashion.  Indeed, Scripture clearly tells us (i.e., ministers, evangelists, etc.) that if we offer the Gospel to someone and they do not want to hear it, we are to "shake the dust from our feet" and move on - and not engage in "forcing" it, or stand in judgment or condemnation.

Shalom.