[Mb-civic] To Al Baraka

Ian ialterman at nyc.rr.com
Mon Jan 3 18:05:32 PST 2005

Al Baraka:

Blessings and Peace.

If you are going to quote the Scripture, please don't cherry-pick.  That is what the so-called "Christian Right" does, and is what many Christians (and non-Christians) dislike about them (among other things).

Consider:

"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.  Teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you..."  Matthew 28:19-20

"Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.  He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned."  Mark 16:15-16

Both of these are Jesus' words.

Now, I accept that a prayer at a football game is not the same as preaching the gospel.  However, Christian prayers at football games etc. are not wrong per se.  What is wrong (if one must find something wrong with it) is that it is only Christian prayers that are being offered.  If, for example, every game were to start with a Jewish prayer, a Christian prayer and an Islamic prayer (since both team members and audience members are likely to include all three), that would probably cover 75%-80% of the audience.  True, there might be a few Buddhists, a few Hindus, and a Zoroastrian or two, as well as a few atheists (and, no, I am not being flip here).  However, at least it would be much "fairer" (spiritually) to do it that way.

Of course, this would be silly, I suppose.  In that regard, I would agree that any prayer is "wrong" at a public event unless all (or at least those representing the majority - Jews, Christians, Muslims) are considered.

Peace.