[Mb-civic] Long-Term Plan Sought For Terror Suspects

Cheeseburger maxfury at granderiver.net
Sun Jan 2 09:21:58 PST 2005

I rarely do this.  In fact I never do this.  But I wanted any Americans
hanging around to read this entire article, although it is just the tip of
the iceberg of the entire subject, so I printed it here.  I'll try not to
ever do it again.  :|  This is basically where America stands, has stood,
and is firmly heading toward in The Future.  Although it covers only one
aspect of "how we deal with things", I, personally, find it utterly and
definitively indicative of the end result that is coming from the bad
directions we have been led into under bad leadership.  If you disagree, I
can only encourage you to write your Congressman and declare your adulation
for a country and its methods run by its secret police and other unnamed
and unknown secret societies and organizations that begin to make The
Inquisition pale by comparison.  There remains nothing more despicable than
a  global  New World Order in an open society directed from the shadows by
people who continuously falsely profess to have principles, unless one
wishes to include the fact that we pay for it all with our taxes and our
childrens' futures endlessly.  "This is War" simply does not cut it
anymore.  It is one thing for our politicos, penatagonians, soapbox
preachers, goons and spooks at The Top to literally turn into the Monsters
they say they have been fighting forever, yet it is an entirely different
thing to drag all the rest of us kicking and screaming along with them into
the void and, again, paying for it all in more ways than there exist
measurements for.  Forgive my length in this post.  I just sometimes see
things coming from a long ways away before they get here in full force, and
the cringing in my spirit at realizing the final end results move me to
oververbage.  I'll try not to write anything for a while to make up for it.

Long-Term Plan Sought For Terror Suspects

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A41475-2005Jan1.html

Administration officials are preparing long-range plans for indefinitely
imprisoning suspected terrorists whom they do not want to set free or turn
over to courts in the United States or other countries, according to
intelligence, defense and diplomatic officials.

The Pentagon and the CIA have asked the White House to decide on a more
permanent approach for potentially lifetime detentions, including for
hundreds of people now in military and CIA custody whom the government does
not have enough evidence to charge in courts. The outcome of the review,
which also involves the State Department, would also affect those expected
to be captured in the course of future counterterrorism operations.

"We've been operating in the moment because that's what has been required,"
said a senior administration official involved in the discussions, who said
the current detention system has strained relations between the United
States and other countries. "Now we can take a breath. We have the ability
and need to look at long-term solutions."

One proposal under review is the transfer of large numbers of Afghan, Saudi
and Yemeni detainees from the military's Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, detention
center into new U.S.-built prisons in their home countries. The prisons
would be operated by those countries, but the State Department, where this
idea originated, would ask them to abide by recognized human rights
standards and would monitor compliance, the senior administration official
said.

As part of a solution, the Defense Department, which holds 500 prisoners at
Guantanamo Bay, plans to ask Congress for $25 million to build a 200-bed
prison to hold detainees who are unlikely to ever go through a military
tribunal for lack of evidence, according to defense officials.

The new prison, dubbed Camp 6, would allow inmates more comfort and freedom
than they have now, and would be designed for prisoners the government
believes have no more intelligence to share, the officials said. It would
be modeled on a U.S. prison and would allow socializing among inmates.

"Since global war on terror is a long-term effort, it makes sense for us to
be looking at solutions for long-term problems," said Bryan Whitman, a
Pentagon spokesman. "This has been evolutionary, but we are at a point in
time where we have to say, 'How do you deal with them in the long term?' "

The administration considers its toughest detention problem to involve the
prisoners held by the CIA. The CIA has been scurrying since Sept. 11, 2001,
to find secure locations abroad where it could detain and interrogate
captives without risk of discovery, and without having to give them access
to legal proceedings.

Little is known about the CIA's captives, the conditions under which they
are kept -- or the procedures used to decide how long they are held or when
they may be freed. That has prompted criticism from human rights groups,
and from some in Congress and the administration, who say the lack of
scrutiny or oversight creates an unacceptable risk of abuse.

Rep. Jane Harman (D-Calif.), vice chairman of the House intelligence
committee who has received classified briefings on the CIA's detainees and
interrogation methods, said that given the long-term nature of the
detention situation, "I think there should be a public debate about whether
the entire system should be secret.

"The details about the system may need to remain secret," Harman said. At
the least, she said, detainees should be registered so that their treatment
can be tracked and monitored within the government. "This is complicated.
We don't want to set up a bureaucracy that ends up making it impossible to
protect sources and informants who operate within the groups we want to
penetrate."

The CIA is believed to be holding fewer than three dozen al Qaeda leaders
in prison. The agency holds most, if not all, of the top captured al Qaeda
leaders, including Khalid Sheik Mohammed, Ramzi Binalshibh, Abu Zubaida and
the lead Southeast Asia terrorist, Nurjaman Riduan Isamuddin, known as
Hambali.

CIA detention facilities have been located on an off-limits corner of the
Bagram air base in Afghanistan, on ships at sea and on Britain's Diego
Garcia island in the Indian Ocean. The Washington Post reported last month
that the CIA has also maintained a facility within the Pentagon's
Guantanamo Bay complex, though it is unclear whether it is still in use.

In contrast to the CIA, the military produced and declassified hundreds of
pages of documents about its detention and interrogation procedures after
the Abu Ghraib prison scandal. And the military detainees are guaranteed
access to the International Committee of the Red Cross and, as a result of
a U.S. Supreme Court ruling, have the right to challenge their imprisonment
in federal court.

But no public hearings in Congress have been held on CIA detention
practices, and congressional officials say CIA briefings on the subject
have been too superficial and were limited to the chairman and vice
chairman of the House and Senate intelligence committees.

The CIA had floated a proposal to build an isolated prison with the intent
of keeping it secret, one intelligence official said. That was dismissed
immediately as impractical.

One approach used by the CIA has been to transfer captives it picks up
abroad to third countries willing to hold them indefinitely and without
public proceedings. The transfers, called "renditions," depend on
arrangements between the United States and other countries, such as Egypt,
Jordan and Afghanistan, that agree to have local security services hold
certain terror suspects in their facilities for interrogation by CIA and
foreign liaison officers.

The practice has been criticized by civil liberties groups and others, who
point out that some of the countries have human rights records that are
criticized by the State Department in annual reports.

Renditions originated in the 1990s as a way of picking up criminals abroad,
such as drug kingpins, and delivering them to courts in the United States
or other countries. Since 2001, the practice has been used to make certain
detainees do not go to court or go back on the streets, officials said.

"The whole idea has become a corruption of renditions," said one CIA
officer who has been involved in the practice. "It's not rendering to
justice, it's kidnapping."

But top intelligence officials and other experts, including former CIA
director George J. Tenet in his testimony before Congress, say renditions
are an effective method of disrupting terrorist cells and persuading
detainees to reveal information.

"Renditions are the most effective way to hold people," said Rohan
Gunaratna, author of "Inside al Qaeda: Global Network of Terror." "The
threat of sending someone to one of these countries is very important. In
Europe, the custodial interrogations have yielded almost nothing" because
they do not use the threat of sending detainees to a country where they are
likely to be tortured.