[Mb-civic] Re: united Ireland

Alexander Harper harperalexander at mail.com
Sun Feb 27 12:42:56 PST 2005

I have just logged on again after a few days travel, and having sent my own reply to Cheeseburger have noticed this from Ginger and Michael.

Of course Britain would happily have let the North go but for the proddies years ago, as you both point out. It costs a fortune to keep it all going and about the only benefit derived from it all has been by the IRAs and UDPs being able to run criminal emterprises under the guise of political struggle and the British Army getting first rate training in urban and rural counter terrorism, with live rounds, against what is probably the most spohisticated terrorist outfit in the world.

Originally the Ulstermen had good economic reasons, let alone religious ones, for not wanting to be part of the south. 30 odd years ago there was a huge difference in living conditions between the two, with the south being much poorer. Now the southerners are clearly doing better than the northerners economically and this has to be a key factor in persuading the northerners that it (unification) might not be too bad - and these guys have to be persuaded. Imagine forcing unification on them against their will though. How would the Eire Army and the Garda cope with the Ulster gangs rampaging around the South like the IRA do in the North? They could not begin to and Eire would be wrecked. One should not forget either that the Brits only went back into Ulster in 1968 to try to protect the catholics from the protestants, who were really out of order. It had nothing to do with the British wanting to take Ireland back for God's sake. That is the sort of bullshit you hear in Irish pubs around the world from people, who never set foot in the 'Old Country'in their lives.

AlBaraka