[Mb-civic] Emailing: story - IRA shoots itslef in the foot.

Alexander Harper harperalexander at mail.com
Sun Feb 27 12:10:49 PST 2005

Dear Cheese,

It does my old heart good to read such an unabashedly pro-British piece. There are one or two issues, however, for which, with a sinking heart, I feel obliged to take up the cudgels on behalf of the poor old Lion. I am not sure if it was your intention to provoke some reaction from me but if it was, well here I am, rising like a young trout to a mayfly.

First of all I am sorry that you were unable to read the article. I will try and did it up again and paste it to the main body of this message although it is now pretty out of date. It was by no means a bit of anti-IRA,  MI5 black propaganda inserted into, of all places, The Independent, but a factual report on how badly the IRA/Sinn Fein have been fucking up PR-wise recently.

For a long time now the IRA and the protestant paramilitary gangs have been pushing their luck. Because of the past and because of wanting to bend over backwards to keep the peace process on track both the Eire and the British governments have ‘kept cool’ (Bertie Aherne’s words) over the drug dealing, kneecapping, kidnapping, extortion etc but now their cup has overflowed.

First came the bank heist in the North; 26 mln pounds (about $50mln). The Eire government were the first officially to finger the IRA, which was then actually caught trying to launder the proceeds in Cork (Mick gives Paddy 26 mln in hot notes, Paddy gives back Mick 21 mln in clean ones, in bursts the Garda). Still, that was only about money, admittedly a tidy sum, but no one was hurt and although people on both sides of the border thought it was pretty outrageous, in staunch republican areas they probably had a chuckle about it. The problem was when they murdered Robert McCartney. This guy was a tough, rock solid republican catholic from a hard pro-republican, pro-PIRA (Provisional IRA) area of Belfast. He worked as a bouncer at a pub. Some IRA men come in to drown their sorrows after going to a ‘Bloody Sunday’ memorial, they drink a few jars, there is a fight, somebody tries to cut McCartney’s throat with a broken bottle and when that doesn’t do the trick he gets stabbed to death. The pub doors are closed and IRA forensic boys are right round to clean everything up and make sure that none of the seventy odd witnesses saw anything, which of course they didn’t. The trouble was that McCartney’s family took rather a dim view about all this and refused to keep quiet and what is more their – republican- neighbourhood agreed with them and soon there were anti PIRA slogans all over the place just like in a protestant neighbourhood (PIRA SCUM OUT! sic). People even started talking to the Police; unheard of before. Bertie Aherne was up on his hind legs in the Dail again, very pissed off and actually so was everyone else. The upshot of all this, it may have been on the news in the US, is that the IRA have belatedly expelled three members, one of whom has been arrested. Really, Cheese, these people have to choose between being a criminal organisation, or a bona fide political party, they can’t have it both ways (unlike your own dear GOP – sorry, I have gone too far). The political fall out for Sinn Fein (the political wing of the IRA) has been terrible, hence the ‘shooting in the foot’ quote in the Indie.

Now, Cheese, what you have to say about Britain and Ireland is fair enough but pretty dated nowadays. Yes, over the centuries the British have behaved abominably in Ireland and the Irish have long memories; 1648 (the sack of Drogheda) seems just like yesterday. There is probably a hard core in Eire itself, maybe 5%, maybe less of the people who can never forgive the British and that is their privilege and I have no beef with them. But do you know what? Eire, thanks initially to EU subsidies and then to its successive governments’ acuity and the efforts of the Irish (and actually the British keeping the proddies under control in the North), has one of the most successful economies, the lowest unemployment and the best education system in the world and people there don’t care about the past anymore. Why carry that baggage around, man, forever playing the victim and blaming your failures on the Brits? Forget it. No, the real blowhard guys with the 1916 mindset all tend to be descendents of the Irish, who made it to the USA, Australia and Argentina and who still like to cry into their Guinness in a nice, nostalgic, Yeatsian, Celtic glow. Fair enough but it ain’t real; they have no idea about what Eire or the Irish – or the British - are like in 2005. The Irish-Argentines are always being lectured by Irish Ambassadors about this but there you are, it’s fun to have a bogeyman and why not the Brits.

I am sorry those two old tarts got up your nose with their ‘God Save the Queen’ and their ‘Rule Britannia’ all those years ago but you shouldn’t take them as being that representative of the rest of us and I am sure you don’t really.

Al Baraka