[Mb-civic] Molly Ivins: Can the tax cuts, cure the country

ean at sbcglobal.net ean at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 18 21:01:44 PST 2005

http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/news/columnists/molly_ivins/1
0884556.htm?1c

	Posted on Sun, Feb. 13, 2005

Can the tax cuts, cure the country

By Molly Ivins
Creators Syndicate

AUSTIN - I feel snakebit about praising any proposal by George W.
Bush. Every time I write a column saying, "Look, he's done
something good!" he does something else that makes it either not
so good or just plain bad.

But I did find a good idea in Bush's budget: putting a lower cap on
farm subsidies.

Three-fourths of federal crop subsidies go to the wealthiest 10
percent of agriculture businesses. This is not a red state-blue state
issue. Two-thirds of American farms -- those run by families and
small operators -- do not qualify for subsidies at all.

For years, agribusiness has successfully hidden behind the sacred
shield of "the family farmer," who is still getting taken. It's a
monumental rip-off, made worse by a loophole that has allowed
some huge agribusiness firms to collect millions of dollars a year by
disguising themselves as several corporations.

Farm conservation programs make much more sense and do
benefit family farmers.

And that said, what a sham, what a rotten, phony, fake document
this 2006 budget is.

In the first place, they're trying to fool you into thinking the deficit is
less than it is by using a fake number from the previous year -- an
early deficit estimate set way high so they could claim the deficit had
been "dramatically reduced."

Last year's actual deficit was $412 billion, the largest ever, and
under Bush's budget this year, it will be $427 billion. The actual
deficit, with war spending included, would balloon to $1.4 trillion by
2010 under this plan.

In the second place, the budget contains none of the expenses for
the war in Iraq or Bush's plan for Social Security.

Third, the values reflected in this budget are deformed.

The cuts take away from schools in need, child-care assistance,
environmental programs (a whopping 10.4 percent cut there),
students (he lied about Pell grants), veterans, Medicaid, food
stamps -- basically the weakest and the poorest Americans.

The money goes overwhelmingly to the richest Americans, who
would get the permanent tax cuts, and to the Department of
Defense, the monster.

According to this budget, Defense gets a 4.8 percent increase, bad
enough (again, this is without counting Iraq). But as William Saleton
explains in an article on Slate.com, what Secretary Donald
Rumsfeld has done is to hide at least $40 billion in normal defense
expenditures in the supplementary appropriation that will have to be
passed for the war in Iraq.

When he was asked if he was hiding regular spending in the
emergency wartime bill, Rumsfeld said: "That would be wrong, and
we wouldn't do that. It's all right out in the open."

Whereupon the press laughed merrily. Saleton estimates it's a 10
percent increase, without Iraq. Others put it even higher. Ha, ha, ha.

Hubert Humphrey said, "The moral test of government is how that
government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children;
those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; and those who are in
the shadows of life -- the sick, the needy, the handicapped."

Bush seems to think they're all targets.

I'm a great believer in put-up-or-shut-up, so here's where I'd get the
money to pay for those programs.

Don't make the tax cuts permanent -- they do go disproportionately
to the very richest people in this country, and it's gross. And stop the
two new tax cuts that go only to the very, very rich.

Don't put another nickel, not to mention another $9.7 billion, into that
ridiculous boondoggle, Star Wars.

Track down the $8.8 billion the inspector general for Iraq
reconstruction now says is effectively unaccounted for because of
"severe inefficiencies and poor management." The scathing report
also says lack of oversight opened the funds to corruption.

Oh, and if Congress would like to retain the power of the purse, I
suggest it look very closely at the fine print in this doozy.

It proposes biennial budgeting and appropriations (of course, not in
election years), automatic appropriations, a presidential veto on the
joint budget resolution (Congress' planning document for
appropriations) and much, much more.
Molly Ivins writes for Creators Syndicate. 5777 W. Century Blvd.,
Suite 700, Los Angeles, CA 90045

© 2005 Star-Telegram and wire service sources. All Rights
Reserved.  http://www.dfw.com

--
You are currently on Mha Atma's Earth Action Network email list,
option D (up to 3 emails/day).  To be removed, or to switch options

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
   ---   George Orwell