[Mb-civic] The lies never stop

ean at sbcglobal.net ean at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 14 21:33:47 PST 2005

Published on Monday, February 14, 2005 by the San Francisco
Chronicle

Lies, Damned Lies And Rice
by Harley Sorensen

The lies never stop. They lie not only to you and me, but also to their
friends and colleagues, Republicans as well as Democrats.

I speak (as you might guess) of those masters of deceit in the Bush
administration. A few months ago they told our senators and
representatives that their bogus Medicare prescription drug bill
would cost $400 billion over the next 10 years. Now that the bill has
become law, they've revised their estimate: Now it's $724 billion.

Two questions: Why is the difference in estimates important, and
why do I call the drug bill "bogus"?

The bill barely squeaked through Congress. The biggest objection
to it was its cost. In the end, it passed only because it was deemed,
at $400 billion, affordable. Had its cost been higher, it almost
certainly would have failed.

What is bogus about the law? Three things: It prohibits the
importation of drugs from Canada and other countries; it prohibits
the government from negotiating with drug companies for lower
prices; and it provides benefits for everyone, regardless of income
or financial status. Do the heirs of Sam Walton really need our help
buying their prescription drugs?

That drug law should be repealed immediately. It's not an effort to
help seniors at all. In fact, it's nothing more than a scam designed to
enrich pharmaceutical companies. Sen. John McCain, the one
Republican who acts like a Republican, calls it "outrageous." He's
right.

By the way, almost immediately after the drug benefit bill became
law, the price of prescription drugs went up. These people have no
shame.

In vaguely related news, the Queen of Chutzpah, our lovely
secretary of state, Condoleezza Rice, has just completed a
whirlwind tour of the known world in which she tried to convince
everyone she met to fear and loathe the nation of Iran.

>From all appearances, the Bushies are developing plans to take
over Iran and kill a lot of beautiful Persian women and handsome
Persian men in the process. The reason (which has nothing to do
with oil, wink-wink) is that Iran has a nuclear energy program that
could evolve into weapons production, making Iran as much as a
threat to the United States as other nations with nuclear weapons,
say, like Pakistan or Israel.

The Bush propaganda campaign against Iran is under way. At the
moment, it lacks one Iranian leader who we can learn to hate, but
you can be assured one will be identified soon. Already we're being
told that Iran is stubbornly pursuing its nuclear energy program, in
spite of our wishes to the contrary.

The American press, compliant to the end, will dutifully spread the
Bushies' propaganda. The liberals in the media, fearful of being
called unpatriotic, or worse, liberal, will give the Bushies the slant
they crave. The conservatives in the media will cheerfully continue
on their flag-waving, apple-polishing way. They'll parade their red,
white and blue "patriotism" much like a hooker with a cross around
her neck parades her virtue.

To prove to the world how virtuous they are, the Bushies will soon
go to the United Nations and ask for its cooperation in letting us
throttle Iran. Their request will be couched in terms making it
impossible for the U.N. to comply. When the U.N. rejects the
insincere entreaty, the Bushies will badmouth it, and then declare
that circumstances have become so dire that America must once
again go it alone.

And then the bombs will burst in air, and the rockets will red glare.

I dearly hope I am wrong in my predictions, but it seems that history,
and the pathological predilections of the Bush administration, make
an attack on Iran inevitable.

But we were talking about Condoleezza Rice.

The thing I admire most about her, I think, is her brazenness. When
Sen. Barbara Boxer pointed out Rice's dishonesty at a committee
confirmation hearing, Rice stiffened and, with as much self-
righteousness as I've ever seen in a person, attacked Boxer for
questioning her integrity.

(Bill Clinton tried to affect the same kind of self-righteousness when
he told us he did not have sex with "that woman," but Clinton is an
amateur compared with Rice when it comes to righteous
indignation.)

Rice is as brazen and as cagey as her boss. She put her
brazenness to work again over the past fortnight by urging our
former allies in Europe and elsewhere to put the past behind us. It's
time to move on, she said.

You gotta love it! For four years the Bushies been sticking it to the
rest of the world, and now that they want some help they're asking
the people they dissed to "get over it."

The image this brings to my mind is a cartoon image of a bank
robber pleading his case before a judge. The robber is saying
something like, "We can't wallow in the past, Your Honor. It's time
for us to put the past behind us. I recommend you dismiss the
charges, so we can all start over with a clean slate."

Why is it that only the guilty want the past forgotten?

Rice displayed her caginess when a reporter asked about the
possibility of a pre-emptive U.S. strike against Iran. Her response:
"The question is simply not on the agenda at this point in time."

"Point in time"? In other words, we're not going to attack Iran at this
moment, but circumstances change ... and perhaps at a future
"point in time," like maybe 10 minutes from now, we'll have a new
agenda and be forced to go to war again.

The lies never stop.

Harley Sorensen is a longtime journalist. His column appears
Mondays in the San Francisco Chronicle. E-mail him at
harleysorensen at yahoo.com.

© 2005 San Francisco Chronicle

###

--
You are currently on Mha Atma's Earth Action Network email list,
option D (up to 3 emails/day).  To be removed, or to switch options

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
   ---   George Orwell