[Mb-civic] Spearing the Beast By PAUL KRUGMAN

Cheeseburger maxfury at granderiver.net
Tue Feb 8 16:46:21 PST 2005

Re:  Spearing the Beast By PAUL KRUGMAN

========
Why expose workers to that much risk? Ideology. "Social Security is the soft
underbelly of the welfare state," declares Stephen Moore of the Club for
Growth and the Cato Institute. "If you can jab your spear through that, you
can undermine the whole welfare state."

By the welfare state, Mr. Moore means Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid
- social insurance programs whose purpose, above all, is to protect
Americans against the extreme economic insecurity that prevailed before the
New Deal. The hard right has never forgiven F.D.R. (and later L.B.J.) for
his efforts to reduce that insecurity, and now that the right is running
Washington, it's trying to turn the clock back to 1932.
=======

What can I say...  I seem to levitate toward people like Krugman who appear
to make actual sense, and away from people like Brooks and Boot who appear
to still want to be as close to the throne room as possible when the Caesars
who have declared themselves Gods at The People's expense nod and smile in
their direction.

I'm from the old school, I guess, or from some school.  I seem, now and then
upon occassion, to be able to see through b*llsh*t when it arrives, as it
takes a dump, and as it moves on for more feeding frenzies.

Really, go look up "1932" and come back with the comparison as far as
"Today".  People, some people, have been working, and dying, so very hard to
make things better than they were in 1932.

Yes, some of them actually gave their lives for such Dreams.

I'm just sitting here still waiting for America and "The Revolution".

I'm waiting for them to wake up and go "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to
take this anymore...!!"

I always thought people around here were bright enough to see Injustice,
Tyranny, and actual Dictatorship when they saw it.

Especially in their own Country.

I stand corrected.

Removing choices eventually removes people who even remember choices.

It would appear, no matter whether they say it in public or not, that The
Top has seen the end of various resources, the beginning of various
relatively unsolvable problems (at least in their minds), and the need to
shore up their own forces to basically make The Top a *much* more secure and
guarded entity, kind of like it has always been but with a few new twists.

And one of the main ways to secure their own Security in the future is to
deprive as many people of as many things as they can so there will no
longer, ever, be any silly squabbles about Choices, Rights, Justice or
Equality.

The people will be so tied up, endlessly, in just trying to survive, that
half of them will be simply thrown into the ever-growing national and state
prison systems, and the other half will simply function as if everything is
allright and really begin living the novel 1984 by George Orwell or that
movie called "Brazil" (go rent it if you've never seen it to take a great
look at America's bright and shiny dismal future for your Ordinary Joe).

We're almost there now.  They just haven't quite been able to *completely*
put the Absolutely Finishing Touches on the entire master plan, but, dang,
this is certainly a great beginning.

Will America wake up in time..?  Will the revolution come and save us all..?
Will the children rebel against the psychotics at The Top some day and free
all the rest of us willy nilly set in our lemming ways ignoramuses...?

Tune in next week and find out as mass murderering *sses like Rumsfeld
continue to stare at the cameras, smile, and come out with such great
tidbits as "Dang", "Shucks", and "Aw Heck" as he plays his part in not only
Global Conquest but The American People as well.

It's going to be one Hell of a great New Gated Country.

Try to get in good with the guards, maybe you can get a nice job washing the
bullet-proof limos...