[Mb-civic] FW: Rafsanjani speaks...

Golsorkhi grgolsorkhi at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 8 10:14:24 PST 2005

------ Forwarded Message
From: Samii Shahla <shahla at thesamiis.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 11:15:56 -0500
Subject: Rafsanjani speaks...

RADIO FREE EUROPE/RADIO LIBERTY, PRAGUE, CZECH REPUBLIC
RFE/RL NEWSLINE Vol. 9, No. 25, Part III, 8 February 2005

EXPEDIENCY COUNCIL CHAIRMAN CALLS FOR U.S. GOODWILL... Expediency
Council Chairman and former President Hashemi-Rafsanjani said on 6
February in an exclusive interview with "USA Today" that Tehran is
not worried about Washington's recent tough statements about Iran. He
said the resumption of Iran-U.S. dialogue should be preceded by an
American goodwill gesture, such as the unfreezing of Iranian assets
that he estimated to be about $8 billion plus interest. He said he is
one of the people who can restore relations between the two
countries, and indicated that there is no need for continued
difficulties. "The mere fact that I am sitting here talking to you is
an indication that we have no differences with the American people.
This would not happen with an Israeli journalist. We want good
relations with the American people. There has to be a dialogue
between the governments, but what can one do when your government has
always wronged us?" BS

...AND SAYS ACCUSATIONS OF HUMAN RIGHTS ABUSES NOT APPRECIATED.
Asked during his 6 February interview with "USA Today" about the
arrest of web bloggers and their allegations of prison abuse,
Hashemi-Rafsanjani said: "I am essentially against any harsh approach
to these issues in Iran. There is no need for such actions. Each
department and institution has its own authorities and
responsibilities, and they act on that basis. It is wrong to even
compare such actions to what is done in Guantanamo or elsewhere by
the Americans. They do not stand on a high moral platform to preach
to others." According to a 28 January release from Reporters Without
Borders (RSF), journalist Taqi Rahmani has spent the last 19 months
in jail without being charged, and he has spent 5,000 days in prison
since 1981. Rahmani was tried behind closed doors in May 2003 and
given an 11-year prison sentence, plus a 10-year loss of civil
rights. RSF has characterized Iran as the biggest prison for
journalists in the Middle East. BS

------ End of Forwarded Message