[Mb-civic] Breast Cancer: The Result Of Industrialized Society and Light Bulbs

Cheeseburger maxfury at granderiver.net
Tue Feb 8 00:22:47 PST 2005

Breast Cancer: The Result Of Industrialized Society and Light Bulbs

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-breast-cancer-light,0,6134437.story?coll=sns-ap-nationworld-headlines

(excerpt)

"We knew more about the cause of breast cancer 20 years ago than we do
today," Stevens said. "What we do know is that it must have something to do
with industrialized society."

Researchers are looking for new explanations, and Stevens and other
researchers are focusing on electric light.

Their theory is that prolonged periods of exposure to artificial light
disrupt the body's circadian rhythms -- the inner biological clocks honed
over thousands of years of evolution to regulate behaviors such as sleep and
wakefulness. They are looking into whether that disruption affects levels of
hormones such as melatonin and the workings of cellular machinery, and
whether it triggers breast cancer.

"Mankind has only been exposed to these light sources for 150 years or so,"
Stevens said.