[Mb-civic] Objection! Bush's Rap on Lawsuits Is Wrong

ean at sbcglobal.net ean at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 5 16:31:46 PST 2005

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-
kahn25jan25,0,3572240.story

COMMENTARY
Objection! Bush's Rap on Lawsuits Is Wrong
By Robert S. Kahn
Robert S. Kahn is the author of "Other People's Blood: U.S.
Immigration Prisons in the Reagan Decade" (Westview, 1996).

January 25, 2005

President Bush wants to reform the legal system. He wasted no
time after the election, hitting the road to barnstorm on the theme
that there are too many lawsuits for too much money in too many
courtrooms.

I probably read more lawsuits than anyone else in the country —
more than 1,000 a day. As news editor for Courthouse News
Service, I read daily summaries of every new lawsuit filed in more
than 100 state and federal courts in 48 states, plus appeals court
decisions from all the federal circuits. What I've discovered is a
realm of real problems and real people.

Lawsuits provide a close-up view of society. Historian Le Roy
Ladurie produced a masterpiece of medieval history by analyzing
the legal filings generated during the Inquisition in a small town in
southern France. The statements of those who were investigated for
heresy enabled Ladurie to reconstruct an entire society.

In much the same way, the numbers and kinds of American lawsuits
tell us not so much about lawsuit abuse as about our regional
politics, histories and realities.

Bush singled out Madison County, Ill., as having compliant judges
and juries ready to accept any lawsuit and pay a plaintiff any sum.
He pointed out that many asbestos lawsuits land there.

But the reality is that these days most asbestos lawsuits are not filed
in a single, obliging county; you'll find them all over the upper
Midwest and Great Plains. I don't think that's because judges or
juries are suckers there. It's because those regions are full of old
industrial buildings, built when people remembered the Great
Chicago Fire and the Great Peshtigo (Wis.) Fire (which happened
the same day and killed far more people than died in Chicago). So
for decades, in the Midwest and the Great Plains, buildings were
filled with asbestos.

State laws, of course, can encourage or discourage lawsuits. For
example, far more "lemon lawsuits" are filed in Pennsylvania than
any other state. Next comes Maryland. Are the most bad cars sold
in those two states? No, state laws make it easier for car buyers to
sue there. And if that's the way the voters want it, why not?

The state court in Beaumont, Texas, has the highest percentage of
lawsuits involving toxic spills, chemical poisoning and industrial
accidents. Take a region dependent on the petrochemical industry,
add a state Legislature more likely to encourage that industry than
control it, and that's what you get.

What about discrimination? One surprising class of citizens stands
out: pregnant women. If only one-tenth of the allegations are true in
the lawsuits I'm reading, it would be shocking. Mothers-to-be are
demoted, harassed and subjected to unconscionable behavior day
after day, as though pregnancy were a loathsome disease. It's not
unusual for a male manager to fire a pregnant woman, saying
clients would not want to meet someone in that "disgusting"
condition.

Congress and the president may think that the legal system is out of
control. But I think it's a sign of a free society's health that people
are not afraid to sue their neighbors, their bosses, big business and
even the police. For all of us, the courts are a last recourse against
injustice and abuse. Congress and the president should keep their
hands off.

Copyright 2005 Los Angeles Times

--
You are currently on Mha Atma's Earth Action Network email list,
option D (up to 3 emails/day).  To be removed, or to switch options

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
   ---   George Orwell