[Mb-civic] War, jobs, and the Democrats - Derrick Z. Jackson - The Boston Globe

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Wed Aug 31 04:53:48 PDT 2005

War, jobs, and the Democrats

By Derrick Z. Jackson  |  August 31, 2005

EVERYONE SAYS they want peace. Then they fight for war jobs.

The Base Closure and Realignment Commission made its recommendations on
which military installations should stay and go in the proposed
consolidation by the Defense Department. The process became a satire of
Democrats skewering themselves into patriotic pork.

You would think the most liberal of Democrats would fall all over
themselves saying some base closures are a good thing since our children
desperately need that proposed $48 billion in savings over 20 years for
things like education. I know that education spending is not necessarily
where the politicians and the Pentagon want the savings to go, but the
average proposed savings of $2.4 billion a year is more than three times
the current budget for the Boston Public Schools.

Instead we get bombast bursting in air, giving proof thro' the night
that your base is still there.

The best place to start is Massachusetts. This is the state so allegedly
liberal that a Republican governor lowered the American flag during the
Vietnam War to appease students protesting the killing of fellow
students at Kent State. Since then, the state gave us two of the last
three failed Democratic candidates for president, derailed in part by
their weak image on defense.

Such a state ought to be the first to volunteer to turn guns into
butter. Not on your liberal life. When the commission announced the
closure of Otis Air National Guard Base, up roared Senator Ted Kennedy,
normally the favorite whipping boy of the right, crying, ''It defies
logic. It defies intuition. It defies understanding. It makes no sense
at all."

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2005/08/31/war_jobs_and_the_democrats/