[Mb-civic] Hooray for the student right - Randi Powell - The Boston Globe

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Tue Aug 30 04:39:50 PDT 2005

Hooray for the student right

By Randi Powell  |  August 30, 2005

DURING THE 1980s, Ronald Reagan ushered in a new era of American
conservatism that few can forget. But I don't remember one thing about
it. Honestly, the first president who actually meant anything to me,
besides being a fact in a book, was Bill Clinton. Like most of today's
college students who were born during the Reagan administration, I grew
up with the liberalism of the 1990s. So it only makes sense that those
liberal values and ideas are considered ''normal" for most of my generation.

Indeed, there was a time when any twentysomething outside the realm of
the left was considered an oddity and was ostracized for her political
stance, particularly here in the Northeast. Consequently young
conservatives tended to hide their opinions and go along, albeit
silently, with the liberal stampede of their peers.

But with the rightward political tone of the country, many young
conservatives finally feel safe to come out of the closet. And as
students flock to campuses around Boston for a new year, they are coming
out in droves.

Many collegians, both liberal and conservative, have sat through
lectures where professors beat the drum of liberalism. As a college
student who considers herself liberal, I've even noticed that some
professors practice indoctrination instead of scholarship. With
left-wing professors monopolizing many university campuses and with
tenure making them a stationary face in the classroom, the changing
student body has had little variety to choose from and ultimately
nowhere to go.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2005/08/30/hooray_for_the_student_right/