[Mb-civic] And now, digital evolution - Lee Spector - Boston Globe

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Mon Aug 29 04:31:07 PDT 2005

And now, digital evolution

By Lee Spector  |  August 29, 2005

RECENT developments in computer science provide new perspective on
''intelligent design," the view that life's complexity could only have
arisen through the hand of an intelligent designer. These developments
show that complex and useful designs can indeed emerge from random
Darwinian processes.

Most scientists agree that the argument for intelligent design, which is
over 200 years old, was put to rest by Darwin in 1859 and by the
subsequent triumphs of 20th century biology. Nonetheless, President Bush
recently advocated teaching intelligent design in schools along with
evolutionary theory. School boards around the country, most notably in
Kansas, are staking out similar positions. What can account for the
persistence of this long-discredited idea?

Scientific illiteracy is certainly part of the explanation, but other
factors are also at play. Prominent among them is the fact that
discussions about evolution are usually discussions about the origins of
the discussants themselves. We tend to hold our own species in high
regard and to look down on random and mechanical processes. Our
appreciation for the magnificence of humanity, and of all life, is well
grounded but it may also blind us in ways that we are not blinded when
studying rocks or electricity.

Thanks to technology, however, we can now explore evolution without
discussing ourselves and without even discussing life. We can do this by
building evolutionary processes into computer programs. When we do this
we do not find that our appreciation for the magnificence of life is in
any way diminished. Rather, we find that our appreciation for the power
of evolution is amplified.

A growing sub-field of computer science is devoted to ''evolutionary
computation." The user of such a system specifies the ingredients that
can be used and how the ''goodness" of any particular design can be
measured. The system then creates and tests thousands or millions of
random combinations of the ingredients. The better combinations are
allowed to produce ''children" by mutation (random changes) and
recombination (random part-swapping). This often produces, after many
generations, genuinely novel and useful designs and inventions.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2005/08/29/and_now_digital_evolution/