[Mb-civic] The Common Enemy in Gaza: Religious Zealotry - Mona Eltahawy - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sat Aug 27 06:26:29 PDT 2005

The Common Enemy in Gaza: Religious Zealotry

By Mona Eltahawy
Saturday, August 27, 2005; Page A17

Watching Israeli soldiers dragging Jewish settlers from Gaza was a
reminder of just how much Palestinians and Israelis need each other.
Without the "enemy," Israelis and Palestinians would divide along the
fault lines that are barely concealed beneath the face of unity they put
up to confront each other. And there is no bigger fault line than the
secular/religious crack that exists in both Israeli and Palestinian
societies.

When I lived in Jerusalem in 1998, many of my Israeli friends were clear
in their contempt for the settlers. They could not understand them,
least of all their religious zeal. "Many in Israel hope now that we are
beginning a process of being normal," one of them said to me last week.
"I mean that until now, the settlers imposed on us their agenda, and
there were two types of laws and rules: for the people and for them. We
hope that the priorities will change."

The religious/secular confrontation in Israeli society does not always
take such dramatic turns as the scenes we saw from Gaza, but it's there.
Jerusalem's ultra-orthodox Mea Shearim neighborhood is often the scene
of confrontations between Sabbath-observing residents and secular Jews
whose cars they pelt with stones for driving on a Saturday. Mea Shearim
residents will also often berate women whom they consider immodestly
dressed.

Religious fundamentalists are much the same everywhere. In the
Israeli-Palestinian conflict, fundamentalist Jews and fundamentalist
Muslims are often each others' mirror images.

Which takes me to the question that everyone in Palestinian society
should be asking now that Israel has completed its withdrawal from Gaza:
When push comes to shove will the Palestinian Authority confront its
fundamentalists in the same way that Israel confronted the religious
zealots in the settlements? When the greater good of Palestinians is at
stake, is the Palestinian Authority willing to curb the activities of
Hamas, the militant Islamic organization?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/26/AR2005082601478.html