[Mb-civic] In Indonesia, Rumors Imperil Anti-Polio Bid - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sat Aug 27 06:19:24 PDT 2005

In Indonesia, Rumors Imperil Anti-Polio Bid
24 Million Children Set to Be Immunized Tuesday

By Alan Sipress
Washington Post Foreign Service
Saturday, August 27, 2005; Page A10

DEPOK, Indonesia -- As a longtime health volunteer in the narrow alleys
of her hillside neighborhood, Ebon Sunarti has focused on corralling
other women into the local clinic so their toddlers could be vaccinated
against a range of childhood diseases.

But when polio broke out in her province this year and the government
launched a regional campaign to immunize all children under 5, this
tough-minded mother held her own 3-year-old daughter back after seeing
spurious television reports that the vaccine had made many youngsters
sick, even killing a few.

Researchers and regulators are reshaping the landscape of science,
medicine and health, engendering hope -- and disquiet -- for the future
of humanity.

"This is my mother's heart. I have to be so careful," explained Sunarti,
35, her brown eyes warm but adamant.

With polio now spreading faster in Indonesia than anywhere else, U.N.
health experts and local officials are struggling to counter rumors that
the vaccine is harmful, and to contain the outbreak before the coming
rainy season turns it into a full-blown epidemic.

The next test comes Tuesday when Indonesia plans to immunize 24 million
children under 5. If the nationwide drive succeeds, it could turn back
polio at its farthest frontier since the disease erupted in Nigeria two
years ago. But if it fails, international health experts warn, the
outbreak could spill over Indonesia's borders to other East Asian
countries, dealing a setback to global efforts to eradicate the illness.

"What we have now is a looming crisis," said David Hipgrave, UNICEF's
chief for health and nutrition in Indonesia.

The country had been polio-free for a decade until a traveler from the
Middle East brought it to Indonesia's main island of Java early this
year. The disease has now spread from the Java mountains to the nearby
island of Sumatra and north to the capital, Jakarta, infecting at least
226 people.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/26/AR2005082601545.html?referrer=email