[Mb-civic] The sexism awards - Ellen Goodman - The Boston Globe

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Thu Aug 25 04:23:16 PDT 2005

The sexism awards

By Ellen Goodman  |  August 25, 2005

AND NOW let us pause to celebrate Aug. 26, tomorrow's anniversary of
women's suffrage. It's been 85 years since Harry Burn, a young Tennessee
legislator, followed the advice of his mom and cast the deciding vote
ratifying the 19th Amendment.

We honor Harry, his mom, and generations of suffragists. We also
remember the hostile foes who chased Harry onto the third floor ledge of
the state capitol after his vote. Since 1920, we've not only had
progress, we've had generations of adversaries trying to force women's
rights out the window.

In this spirit, our one-woman committee met again this year to dispense
prizes to those who labored mightily throughout the past year to set
back the cause of women. Without further ado, we present the Equal Rites
Awards:

We begin, as we must, by going overseas where so many compete so hard
for the International Ayatollah Prize. This year it goes to the Islamic
clerics in northwest India who ruled that a woman raped by her
father-in-law not only had to leave her husband but had to marry his
rapist father. To those profamily clerics we issue a fatwa: Don't just
blame the victim, marry her.

While we are abroad, the Double Standard Bearer Prize goes to our
allies, the Saudis, who still refuse to give women the keys to the
kingdom. The latest petition opposing women drivers explained, ''Women
are less decisive than men and less capable of dealing with difficult
situations." To the oil-rich and common sense-deprived Saudis, we send
Indy Racing League sensation Danica Patrick to chauffeur them to the
21st century.

Speaking of Danica, it was Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone who
sneered at her, saying: ''Women should be dressed in white like all
other domestic appliances." To Bernie we award our Superstar in Sexism
Prize and a two-week vacation in our favorite appliance: a deep freezer.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2005/08/25/the_sexism_awards/