[Mb-civic] What would Jesus do Pat?

Jef Bek jefbek at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 23 00:37:31 PDT 2005

http://mediamatters.org/items/printable/200508220006

THE NATION

Televangelist Urges Chavez Assassination
>From Associated Press

August 23, 2005

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. ‹ Religious broadcaster Pat Robertson on Monday called
for the assassination of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, calling him a
"terrific danger" to the United States.
Robertson, founder of the Christian Coalition and a former presidential
candidate, said on "The 700 Club" broadcast that it was the United States'
duty to stop Chavez from making Venezuela a "launching pad for communist
infiltration and Muslim extremism."
Chavez has emerged as one of the most outspoken critics of President Bush,
accusing the United States of conspiring to topple his government and
possibly backing plots to assassinate him.
U.S. officials have called the accusations ridiculous.
"You know, I don't know about this doctrine of assassination, but if he
thinks we're trying to assassinate him, I think that we really ought to go
ahead and do it," Robertson said.
"It's a whole lot cheaper than starting a war Š and I don't think any oil
shipments will stop."
Electronic pages and a message left for a Robertson spokeswoman were not
immediately returned Monday evening.
Venezuela is the fifth-largest oil exporter and a major supplier of oil to
the United States.
Venezuela's government has demanded in the past that the United States crack
down on Cuban and Venezuelan "terrorists" in Florida who it says are
conspiring against Chavez.