[Mb-civic] More young blacks ready to embrace GOP - The Boston Globe

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Mon Aug 22 03:34:26 PDT 2005

More young blacks ready to embrace GOP
Some cast aside traditional loyalties

By Kaitlin Bell, Globe Correspondent  |  August 22, 2005

WASHINGTON -- Adam Hunter, an ambitious law student with bright eyes, an
easy smile, and plenty of charisma, seems practically destined for politics.

A half century ago, his grandfather helped register blacks living in
rural South Carolina to vote. Hunter's father, born on a tobacco farm
and taught in segregated schools, was inspired by the civil rights
movement to join the Democratic Party. His parents have both headed the
local Democratic committee in their New Jersey town, and Hunter himself
worked as a campaign volunteer before he was old enough to vote.

Hunter, 22, is a first-year law student at Howard University, a
historically black campus with a long record of liberal activism. He has
political ambitions of his own -- but not with the Democrats.

Instead, Hunter, who as an undergraduate headed Howard's chapter of
College Republicans, sees himself as part of a younger generation of
African-Americans. He is ready to cast aside traditional loyalties to
the Democratic Party and forge his own political identity.

''My father and I are not that different, ideologically, but if you look
at the time period we grew up in, that's where we're different," Hunter
said. ''My foundation doesn't make me beholden to the Democratic Party.
To me there's nothing more undemocratic than the idea that you have to
vote for a Democrat or don't vote at all come Election Day."

Hunter is one of a growing number of young African-Americans leaving the
party of their parents and grandparents in favor of the GOP -- or
choosing not to have a political affiliation at all.

A July Gallup Poll of minorities' political opinions indicated that
black voters overwhelmingly favor the Democratic Party, and the
percentage of African-Americans who consider themselves Republicans
lingers at about 9 percent. However, according to the poll, of those
blacks who vote GOP, most are under age 50 -- a generational shift that
could be an opportunity for Republicans and a headache for Democrats.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2005/08/22/more_young_blacks_ready_to_embrace_gop/