[Mb-civic] 'I Will Go to Do Jihad Again and Again' - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sun Aug 21 07:26:06 PDT 2005

'I Will Go to Do Jihad Again and Again'
Prisoner's Story Highlights Pakistan-Based Training Network for Insurgents

By N.C. Aizenman
Washington Post Foreign Service
Sunday, August 21, 2005; Page A17

KABUL, Afghanistan -- The prisoner perched on a metal chair, hugging his
knees to his chest and rocking slightly, like a nervous child.

But his expression relaxed into a blissful smile as he described what he
would do if released from his cell in the headquarters of the national
intelligence service.

"When I get the chance, I will stick to my promise," said Sher Ali, 28,
a Pakistani man with cropped black hair and a long beard. "I will go to
do jihad again and again."

Ali said he took his vow to wage holy war against U.S. forces in
Afghanistan earlier this summer, just before embarking on what he
described as a 20-day weapons training course at a secret mountain camp
in northeastern Pakistan.

He was captured by Afghan police about three weeks ago, shortly after
crossing into Afghanistan's rugged, northeastern Konar province. The
area has been a haven for armed renegades from an assortment of groups,
including al Qaeda, the Taliban and backers of former Afghan leader
Gulbuddin Hekmatyar, who is now a fugitive.

Over the last several months, insurgents have killed hundreds of people
in Afghanistan, including aid workers, religious and tribal leaders,
government officials, and Afghan and U.S. troops, many in ambushes and
bombings apparently aimed at derailing parliamentary elections scheduled
for Sept. 18.

American and Afghan forces have countered with an aggressive effort to
flush the fighters from their remote mountain hideouts, killing several
hundred in operations in border provinces from Konar in the north to
Kandahar in the south. They have also taken several hundred suspected
insurgents prisoner and allowed a few to speak to journalists.

Ali's story, which could not be verified independently, offered a
glimpse of what Afghan authorities charge is a shadowy Pakistani network
that continues to fuel the insurgency with fresh recruits as fast as
U.S. and Afghan forces kill or capture their predecessors.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/20/AR2005082001002.html?nav=hcmodule