[Mb-civic] Beyond belief

Ian ialterman at nyc.rr.com
Tue Aug 16 05:15:24 PDT 2005

"As AJ Ayer said, if God has constituted
the world in such a way that he cannot resolve the phenomenon of evil,
logically it makes no difference whether we are believers or unbelievers."

Well....

Actually, within the "Christian construct," God most certainly HAS a way of
"resolving" the "phenomenon of evil": however, if one does not believe in
that construct, then obviously one would not see this, much less understand
or accept it.  And in the constructs of Judaism and Islam, there is also a
"mechanism" by which evil is "controlled" (during one's temporal life) and
"vanquished" (at "the end").  But again, if one does not believe in those
constructs, then one is not going to see,  understand or accept this.

However, even were this not the case, once one even posits the POSSIBLE idea
of the existence of God, it is the height of human arrogance to suggest that
the human mind or spirit would see or understand the "mind of God" vis-a-vis
how He does or does not, or will or will not, "resolve" the "phenomenon of
evil."

Either there is no God, or there is a God - in which case we (being simple,
mortal humans) could not possibly fathom His (or Her) mind, methods, etc.
with regard to ANY facet of human existence.

Peace.