[Mb-civic] Keep Your Eyes On Egypt - Mona Eltahawy - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sat Aug 13 05:36:51 PDT 2005

Keep Your Eyes On Egypt

By Mona Eltahawy
Saturday, August 13, 2005; Page A21

My summer vacations in Cairo usually have been mock exercises in public
diplomacy, with yours truly playing a reluctant Karen Hughes. I am not a
Republican or even a U.S. citizen, but I'd find myself dodging
conspiracy theories or lending a sympathetic ear to a cousin who proudly
remembers memorizing the names of every U.S. state but who hates America
so much now that she never wants to see those states herself.

But not this summer.

There were no arguments over the United States, Israel, Palestine, Iraq
or any of the other "hot spots" that used to dominate every meal and
spill over into tea, coffee and dessert. This time, all conversations
were about a small but active opposition movement in Egypt that since
December has focused on ending the dictatorship of President Hosni Mubarak.

I have never heard so many relatives and friends take such an interest
in Egyptian politics or -- more important -- feel that they had a stake
in them. This opposition movement holds almost weekly demonstrations. It
draws Egyptians from across the political spectrum: leftists, liberals
and Islamists. And, more worrisome for Mubarak, it has solid roots in
the country's middle class: Journalists, lawyers, judges and university
professors have all thrown their hats in.

It is brimming with Egyptian youths who have known no leader other than
Mubarak but are all too familiar with the legacy of his 24-year
dictatorship: corruption, unemployment and fear. There isn't much that
Egyptians can do about corruption and unemployment; those who turn out
for the demonstrations are fearless. Several times during my visit I
heard "we have broken the barrier of fear" -- the sweetest words of my
trip. The demonstrators risk beatings, arrest and intimidation of their
families.

Protests are banned under emergency laws that have been in place since
Mubarak took over in 1981 after Muslim militants assassinated Anwar
Sadat. The Egyptian regime says the laws are essential to fight
terrorism. The Sharm el-Sheikh bombings on July 23 showed the sad
fallacy of thinking that laws alone can stop terrorism. And the vicious
beatings of anti-Mubarak demonstrators on May 25 and July 30 showed how
those emergency laws are too often used to quell anti-government activity.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/12/AR2005081201387.html?nav=hcmodule