[Mb-civic] CBC News - GREENPEACE SAYS VIDEO CAPTURES DRAGGERS IN ACTION

CBC News Online nwonline at toronto.cbc.ca
Fri Aug 12 16:53:08 PDT 2005

This email has been sent to you by harry.sifton at sympatico.ca
The following is a news item posted on CBC NEWS ONLINE
at http://www.cbc.ca/news
GREENPEACE SAYS VIDEO CAPTURES DRAGGERS IN ACTION
WebPosted Fri Aug 12 13:17:01 2005

---Greenpeace says video it made of international fishing vessels off
Canada proves that bottom-dragging nets are destroying fish stocks.

Members of the environmental group and their vessel, the
Esperanza, returned to Halifax Friday with images of several
vessels that use the nets.

During the two-week mission on the Grand Banks and Flemish Cap, at
points beyond Canada's 200-mile limit, they were allowed to board five
of the ships.

"We saw about 20 boats while we were out there from a whole range of
countries, Estonia, Portugal, Latvia and Lituania," said Bunny McDiarmid
of Greenpeace, who wants an international ban on dragnet fishing.

She told reporters images of the huge nets, complete with heavy chains
and other gear attached, will impress Canadians.

"If you show the public the kind of gear that's being used and you
explain how the fishing is being done, people get this really easily.
This is not a sustainable way to do it," she said.

McDiarmid said proof that this kind of fishing cannot continue comes
from fishermen who say their nets aren't scooping up a lot of unwanted
species any more.

"Some of the skippers that we spoke to said that they're not seeing a lot
of it now because they think they've trawled the Earth for so long that
there isn't a lot more to get."

She said Greenpeace is using the release of the video to criticize the
federal fisheries minister, Geoff Regan, for comments he made recently
about dragging.

The minister said his focus is not on banning gear, but identifying
habitats that are most sensitive and protecting those areas.

Regan also said any fishing gear that's used improperly causes damage, a
statement Greenpeace has dismissed.

The group said these bottom dragger nets are being used as intended and
they're doing damage that may be irreversible.

Copyright (C) 2005 CBC. All rights reserved.