[Mb-civic] The Peaceful Occupation of Iraq (Day 6)

Jef Bek jefbek at mindspring.com
Fri Aug 12 11:52:37 PDT 2005

The Peaceful Occupation of Iraq (Day 6)
Friday, August 12th, 2005

-- a message from Cindy Sheehan, Crawford, TX

Day 6 of the Peaceful Occupation of Iraq began early this morning when
people in cars drove by our camp a few times and blasted on their horns. I
just assume they were blaring their approval of us.

Before we get to the less than negative things that are happening out at
Camp Casey and in the world at large today, over 700 people showed up at the
Camp today. There were more people, flowers, cards, mail, interviews,
laughter, heartache, camaraderie, excitement, and just sheer work.

We had the first birthday party tonight at our little event. Alicia from
Austin turned 17 today and they came to Crawford to celebrate with a cake.
Alicia said that she wanted to be out here for her birthday. So many great
people from so many parts of the country and our world are here.

Today is kind of a blur to me. From running around from interview to
interview, to getting a visit from Viggo Mortensen, today was a whirlwind of
activity. I have discovered that the White House press corps is always
looking for something to do and someone to cover. We have been happy to
oblige them. We had a press conference today with Gold Star Families for
Peace and Military Families Speak Out members. It was very effective when
people who actually have skin in the game ask the president to be held
accountable for the words he has actually said.

Still putting out the O'Reilly fires of me being a traitor and using Casey's
name dishonorably, my in-laws sent out a press conference disagreeing with
me in strong terms; which is totally okay with me, because they barely knew
Casey. We have always been on separate sides of the fence politically and I
have not spoken to them since the elections when they supported the man who
is responsible for Casey's death. The thing that matters to me is that my
family: Casey's dad and my other 3 kids are on the same side of the fence
that I am.

Since Congress is not holding George Bush accountable and the media is not
doing their jobs and holding George Bush accountable, we the American people
need to hold him accountable for lying to us to get us into a disastrous
war. November 2, 2004 was not his accountability moment: today is. We are
finished allowing him to get away with deceiving the American public and
abusing his power.

We are mad as hell and we're not taking it anymore.