[Mb-civic] CBC Arts - WASHINGTON TO HOST PRO-MILITARY, ANTI-WAR CONCERTS

CBC Arts nwonline at toronto.cbc.ca
Fri Aug 12 10:59:53 PDT 2005

This email has been sent to you by harry.sifton at sympatico.ca
The following is a news item posted on CBC ARTS
at http://www.cbc.ca/arts
WASHINGTON TO HOST PRO-MILITARY, ANTI-WAR CONCERTS
WebPosted Thu Aug 11 17:01:45 2005

---Two concerts with very different aims will be held next month in
Washington, D.C.

The aim of the first, dubbed America Supports You, is to send a message
of support to the U.S. military. The second, called Operation Ceasefire,
is an anti-war event intended to help end the U.S. presence in Iraq.

Sponsored by the Department of Defence, America Supports You will take
place on Sept. 11, the fourth anniversary of the al-Qaeda attacks on the
Pentagon and the World Trade Center.

It is being headlined by country singer Clint Black, known for songs like
Killing Time , Where Are You Now and Nobody's Home .

The show will be preceded by a "Freedom Walk." Members of the public will
travel on foot from the Pentagon to Arlington National Cemetery, past
several national memorials and wind up at the National Mall.

According to an announcement from Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld,
participants will be invited "to remember the victims of Sept. 11,
2001, to honour U.S. troops and veterans, and to highlight the value
of freedom."

Operation Ceasefire, meanwhile, will take place Sept. 24. It will be a
weekend-long series of events, including a 10-hour festival of music
headlined by country singer Steve Earle.

Earle is perhaps best known for the song Copperhead Road , about a
Vietnam War veteran.

Jello Biafra, the former Dead Kennedy, will serve as master of
ceremonies at the event. Other confirmed acts include Thievery
Corporation and the Coup.

The protest will kick off with a rally at the Washington Monument,
followed by a march through the city's downtown that will be capped off
by the concert.

"I'm American and I love this country, too. I just feel a moral
imperative as a human being who happens to be a musician" to try to help
end the war, said Thievery Corporation's Eric Hilton, one of the
organizers.

Both events are free.

Copyright (C) 2005 CBC. All rights reserved.