[Mb-civic] What Mideast Reform Will Require - David Broder - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Thu Aug 11 04:44:52 PDT 2005

What Mideast Reform Will Require

By David S. Broder
Thursday, August 11, 2005; Page A23

As Monday's deadline approaches for drafting the constitution for the
new government of Iraq, more than the future of that war-torn country is
at stake. In a real sense, this is the first crucial test for the
ambitious project of bringing democracy to the Middle East and Persian
Gulf that President Bush has made a centerpiece of his second-term
foreign policy.

Certainly the new monarch in Saudi Arabia and the leaders of Egypt and
the nations of the Arab world across North Africa and into the Gulf are
all watching closely how this experiment works. And so are the people
and organizations within those countries who hope the United States is
serious about pressing the cause of political reform in that part of the
world.

One lesson from Iraq is already clear. It takes more than a free
election to create a functioning democracy. Iraq had a remarkably
successful popular vote to create an interim government in January, and
yet it has been a struggle to develop the framework for a structure in
which a permanent government -- yet to be chosen -- can function.

We should not be surprised. Our own history was marked by protracted and
faltering efforts before the Constitution was adopted in Philadelphia.
The system of federalism -- of shared sovereignty between national and
state governments -- that was the key to our Constitutional Convention
is one of the major stumbling blocks in Iraq.

The United States, through its embassy, military presence and aid
programs, has more influence on the struggle for democracy in Iraq than
in any other country in the region.

<>But even there, our cards must be played with subtlety and discretion.
And, as a timely report from the Council on Foreign Relations, "In
Support of Arab Democracy: Why and How," reminds us, the United States
must be "mindful that democracy cannot be imposed from the outside."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/10/AR2005081001800.html?nav=hcmodule