[Mb-civic] Big Tobacco's toll

ean at sbcglobal.net ean at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 10 21:43:08 PDT 2005

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2005
/08/10/big_tobaccos_toll/

Boston.com 	The Boston Globe
DERRICK Z. JACKSON
Big Tobacco's toll

By Derrick Z. Jackson, Globe Columnist  |  August 10, 2005

IN 1996, Peter Jennings led off an ABC News special by saying,
''Tonight we're going to show you how the tobacco companies continue
to prosper despite the damage these things do and despite the
increased pressure the companies are under from lawsuits and
proposed government regulation. This is a very, very smart industry
that has been turning adversity into opportunity for the last 30 years."

Last year Jennings anchored another special about Big Tobacco. After
a public health professor led off by saying, ''Congress, which is
essentially bought by the tobacco industry, isn't willing to act to save
literally tens of millions of American lives," Jennings added, ''This is
also a program about the failure of the country's public health leaders.
They squandered an opportunity to save millions of lives."

Jennings lost his own life this week from lung cancer from smoking.
His struggle in some ways mirrors the nation's entanglement with
cigarettes. Jennings smoked for about 30 years beginning in the 1950s
at age 13. He quit for 20 years, then resumed smoking after the
terrorist attacks of 9/11. The nation began warning Americans about
the dangers of smoking in the 1960s. In the four decades since,
smoking rates in the United States and the public places where
smoking is allowed have declined dramatically.

But the industry is alive and well, littering the planet with illness and
death. Despite the drop in the last half century, 22 percent of US high
school students smoke. The Centers for Disease Control predicts that
6.4 million of US children alive today will die of a smoking-related
disease. Globally, the World Health Organization predicts that deaths
due to smoking will grow from a current 5 million people a year to 10
million a year by 2020. About 650 million people alive today will die
from smoking.

Jennings noted that he resumed smoking because ''I was weak." He
said he would try to resume his duties on ''good days." The good days
never came. He prematurely relinquished his anchor spot in a nation
where 5.5 million years of potential life and $92 billion of productivity
are lost every year to smoking and where smoking-related health costs
amount to $75.5 billion, according to the CDC.

Cigarettes remain strong precisely because tobacco CEOs
shamelessly prey on the weak while landmark tobacco settlements in
several states that were supposed to funnel money into prevention
have been gutted by budget woes. Last month, Altria, the parent
company of Philip Morris USA, proudly announced that operating
income from cigarettes increased 4 percent to $1.3 billion for the
second quarter of this year. The international division of Philip Morris
zoomed 38 percent to $2 billion for the quarter. Referring to sales of
Marlboro in Japan, Dinny Devitre, Altria's senior vice president and
chief financial officer, said, ''consumer pull is strong."

Similarly, Lorillard CEO Marty Orlowsky boasted an 11 percent
increase in cigarette profits for the first half of this year over last year.
Lorillard makes Newports, the nation's top-selling menthol cigarette.
Newport rose to an all-time share of the domestic market. ''Lorillard
outperformed the industry in terms of its shipment performance,"
Orlowsky said.

Over at Reynolds American, which acquired Brown & Williamson last
year to merge the nation's second- and third-largest tobacco
companies, CFO Dianne Neal reported a 66 percent increase in
second-quarter profits from $151 million in the same period last year to
$251 million this time around. ''We have achieved all of our critical
one-year milestones and importantly, we are moving ahead with
confidence in our vision and our road map," she said.

British American Tobacco, maker of Lucky Strike and Kent and which
has a 42 percent stake in Reynolds, boasted a 37 percent increase in
quarterly profits. BAT chairman Jan du Pleiss called the profits ''an
excellent set of results . . . we have achieved organic growth."

The ''critical milestones" and ''road map" for Camel and Kool cigarettes
are critical-care units and tombstones for everyone else. Global
organic growth for du Pleiss is a funeral organ at your local church.
Consumer pull is strong all right, pulling Jennings off the airwaves and
millions of people away from their loved ones forever. While prevention
funds are drying up, campaign contributions by cigarette makers
continue to mount, to nearly $55 million since 1990.

Jennings tried to show us that Big Tobacco was a very smart industry
in a nation that squanders many opportunities to regulate it. His death
should lead to our own road map to Capitol Hill, to force Congress to
act to save millions of lives.

Derrick Z. Jackson's e-mail address is jackson at globe.com.
© Copyright 2005 The New York Times Company

--
You are currently on Mha Atma's Earth Action Network email list,
option D (up to 3 emails/day).  To be removed, or to switch options

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
   ---   George Orwell