[Mb-civic] Dana Reeve Gets Diagnosis of Lung Cancer - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Wed Aug 10 04:23:28 PDT 2005

Dana Reeve Gets Diagnosis of Lung Cancer

By Chip Crews
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, August 10, 2005; Page C01

Dana Reeve, who won nationwide admiration as she cared for her husband,
Christopher, through nine years of paralysis that ended with his death
last year, announced yesterday that she has lung cancer.

"I have an excellent team of physicians, and we are optimistic about my
prognosis," Reeve, 44, said in a statement.

Reeve, an actress and a singer, said she was making the announcement
"based on the imminent release of a tabloid article regarding my
personal health."

Hers is the second lung cancer case to make headlines this week.
Longtime ABC News anchor Peter Jennings died of the disease Sunday night.

In May 1995, three years into Christopher and Dana Reeve's marriage,
their lives changed forever when he fell from a horse during a
cross-country race in Culpeper, Va., shattering his first cervical
vertebra and breaking the second. He emerged as a quadriplegic and
quickly transformed himself into the nation's highest-profile advocate
for the funding of research into spinal-cord injuries. His wife stood at
his side, taking a much-noted role as caregiver, speechmaker and fellow
activist.

<>At the time of the accident, Christopher Reeve had been a popular
movie actor for the better part of two decades, but his unflinching
response to paralysis won him admiration on a far wider scale. Dana
Reeve also received her share of plaudits.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/09/AR2005080901542.html?nav=hcmodule