[Mb-civic] When an Embryo Isn't an Embryo - William Raspberry - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sat Aug 6 07:04:25 PDT 2005

When an Embryo Isn't an Embryo

By William Raspberry
Saturday, August 6, 2005; Page A19

Well, they've nailed Bill Frist. The Senate majority leader let himself
get caught proclaiming both the sanctity of human life and his opinion
that maybe we ought to expand embryonic stem cell research.

Whatever else you think of the Tennessean (and physician), doesn't his
newest position -- that more of the embryos left over from fertility
treatments should be made available to researchers -- paint him as
morally inconsistent and perhaps even hypocritical?

For whatever comfort it may be for Frist, I say: me, too. Maybe most of
us. Life's difficult questions almost always produce a measure of
inconsistency -- otherwise they wouldn't be so difficult.

I'd like to have $100 for every American who espouses the sanctity of
human life and still believes in the death penalty. Catch them in their
little inconsistency and they'll say that embryonic stem cell research
would destroy innocent life. So go ahead and ask them about their
support of the war in Iraq, which, whatever its ever-shifting
justifications, has taken uncounted innocent lives from the moment of
the very first U.S. bombing raid.

<>Not for nothing did Emerson dismiss (foolish) consistency as "the
hobgoblin of little minds."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/05/AR2005080501435.html?nav=hcmodule