[Mb-civic] Tom Harper in London

Michael Butler michael at michaelbutler.com
Thu Aug 4 10:18:46 PDT 2005

Hey there micheal,
  Sorry to hear about your summer virus, there have been plenty of
strange things floating about on this side of the atlantic too.
 Yes the world appears to be going to hell somewhat in terms of where
our leaders choose to lead us. But, I have been so encouraged
recently by some of the images being played on the news in response
to certain stories, i.e. a racist killing in liverpool prompted 60%
of the city to come together in the centre of the city to share
silent prayers etc side by side, this has never happened before in
Britain as far as I'm aware on such a vast scale over the case of a
one man murder case, especially a black man. Also on the news and on
news night, there have been fascinating debates about a new
spirituality that needs to emerge, communities around britain are
coming together and talking about how our belief systems affect our
behavior, and about how it is time to evolve our religious dogma,
 if
not clear it away completely. Deborah Orr, a very bright journalist
for the independant wrote a very inspiring article about how
community leaders are more regularly meeting, people of differing
faiths, class and ethnic backgrounds, to disscuss how more tolerance
and love can be encouraged within society from the roots up. I can
not express my shock and delight to have read the words love,
understanding, compassion, humility etc, written within a context of
how we can re-educate and 're-love' ourselves, in a newspaper,
normally associated with just slanting the news at us to feed our
anger and frustration. As it says somewhere, 'To expose your feelings
is to risk exposing your true self, To place your ideas, your dreams
before the crowd is to risk their loss, but risk must be taken,
because the greater hazard in life is to risk nothing'.
 There have been other things, like people smiling and chatting to
each other on the london
  underground! clearly all the result of the
bombings, but people are really opening up, it gives me hope.
 Bugger, the plumbers come round, my cistern has rotted, will catch
up again soon, have you read a book called 'the kite runner' by
khaled hosseini, it's good stuff. Hope you are well recovered, let me
know when you plan a uk trip, I am off to romania for 6 weeks to be a
werewolf, back on 19th sept. Much love to you Micheal, Tom xx

eKit - the global phonecard with more!

Spend less on overseas calls, receive messages worldwide.
Visit http://www.ekit.com/ for details.

------ End of Forwarded Message