[Mb-civic] Armageddon Gets No Press - US Plan To Nuke Iran

Bahram Maskanian earth_email_list at venusproject.com
Tue Aug 2 12:52:03 PDT 2005

      Armageddon Gets No Press - US Plan To Nuke Iran

http://www.venusproject.com/ecs/Armageddon_US_Nuke_Iran.html

- By Paul Craig Roberts - August 2, 2005

What has become of the print and TV media watchdogs who hounded
President Nixon from office because he lied about when he learned of a
minor burglary of no consequence in itself?

What became of the watchdog media that bayed after President Reagan
because some low-level neoconservative officials sold arms to Iran and
diverted the money to anti-communist insurgents in Latin America?

President Clinton was impeached by the House, though not convicted by
the Senate, for lying about a sexcapade with a White House intern.

Now that we really need them, the watchdog media has hired out as public
relations and propaganda shills for the Bush administration and the
neocon network.

The entire Bush administration--not merely the president--is involved in
the most extraordinary lies and fabrication of false intelligence claims
in order to lead America into an unwarranted and illegal invasion of
Iraq, an invasion that has cost the US taxpayers $300 billion and
resulted in the deaths and maiming of tens of thousands of people.

The sordid affair has been revealed in leaked top-secret Downing Street
memos, which were prepared for UK Prime Minister Tony Blair and his
cabinet. Unlike the Nixon episode, there is no need to search for a
"smoking gun." Smoking guns have been printed all over the pages of the
London Times. Yet hardly a peep from the watchdog media.

The August 1 issue of The American Conservative reports that Vice
President Dick Cheney has instructed the - US Strategic Command - TO
PREPARE A PLAN TO SPREAD THE WAR BY ATTACKING - IRAN - WITH TACTICAL
NUCLEAR WEAPONS - in the event of another terrorist attack on the US.
Appalled US Air Force officers have leaked the story, but you have not
learned of it from the tamed media.

A federal prosecutor seems to be closing in on Karl Rove, president
Bush's right-hand man, and on Scooter Libby, vice president Cheney's
right-hand man. The two are suspected of leaking the identity of a
covert CIA agent, a felony. Both have had to hire lawyers. But there is
no demand for accountability from the US media.

American civil liberties have been trounced by the "Patriot" Act.
Torture of detainees is now a routine practice of the US government and
defended by the attorney general. Senators and military officers who try
to place constraints on the inhumane treatment of detainees are
stonewalled by the White House.

The mainstream media has been co-opted as propaganda organ for the Bush
administration. How did this come about?

It came about through media concentration. There are no longer
independent voices in the mainstream media. American news reporting is a
corporate operation run with a view to advertising profits and the
accommodation of government in order to protect holdings of valuable
federal licenses. For reporters and editors, knowing what to say and not
to say is the main qualification for job security.

A person who wants to find out anything must go online and spend time
learning the sites that are trustworthy.

The Internet, thought invaluable for spreading news, hasn't the impact
on the public of a story pounded over and over on TV news or newspaper
front pages. Exposure on the Internet doesn't have the same
embarrassment factor as exposure on TV news and the New York Times front
page.

The public is still socialized into taking its cue from the old TV and
print media. This media is now heavily controlled, partly through job
fears of editors and reporters.

This raises the question whether government officials who have broken
the law and betrayed trust will be held accountable.

Consider the implications if the Bush administration escapes
accountability:

The executive branch will have established itself as above the law.

The executive, armed with a compliant media, will have war-making power
subject only to successful PR spin. It means the final end of the
people's right to declare war via elected representatives in Congress.

The few remaining restraints on the executive's ability to detain people
indefinitely without charges will be removed. This power will silence
the Internet.

Spiteful neighbors, employees, former spouses, whomever will gain the
power to report any disliked person. The anti-terrorist apparatus needs
victims to demonstrate its effectiveness, and as warrants, hearings, and
evidence are no longer required, Americans will simply disappear like
Soviet citizens in the Stalin era.

The "imperial judiciary" will disappear overnight. No checks and
balances will remain.

Gentle reader, you can continue with this theme in "How the Worst Get on
Top," a chapter in F.A. Hayek's classic, The Road to Serfdom. You might
as well learn what it is going to be like as you are already half way
there.

The worst rise rapidly as the honest depart the corrupt system. Two US
Military prosecutors, Major Robert Preston and Captain John Carr,
resigned after denouncing rigged Guantanamo trials of detainees as "a
severe threat to the reputation of the military justice system and a
fraud on the American people."

Altogether now, let's yell, "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take
it any longer."

Write To Paul Craig Roberts <mailto:paulcraigroberts at yahoo.com>

Dr. Roberts is John M. Olin Fellow at the Institute for Political
Economy and Research Fellow at the Independent Institute. He is a former
associate editor of the Wall Street Journal, former contributing editor
for National Review, and a former assistant secretary of the U.S.
Treasury. He is the co-author of The Tyranny of Good Intentions.

* * * * * * * * *

      Dick Cheney's Plan To Nuke Iran

Stand athwart the apocalypse, and shout: "No!" - By Justin Raimondo

A recent poll shows six in ten Americans think a new world war is
coming: the same poll says about 50 percent approve of the dropping of
the atomic bomb on the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki at the
end of World War II. Somewhat inexplicably, about two-thirds say nuking
those two cities was "unavoidable." One can only wonder, then, what
their reaction will be to this ominous news, revealed in a recent issue
of The American Conservative by intelligence analyst Philip Giraldi:

"The Pentagon, acting under instructions from Vice President Dick
Cheney's office, has tasked the United States Strategic Command
(STRATCOM) with drawing up a contingency plan to be employed in response
to another 9/11-type terrorist attack on the United States. The plan
includes a large-scale air assault on Iran employing both conventional
and tactical nuclear weapons. Within Iran there are more than 450 major
strategic targets, including numerous suspected nuclear-weapons-program
development sites. Many of the targets are hardened or are deep
underground and could not be taken out by conventional weapons, hence
the nuclear option. As in the case of Iraq, the response is not
conditional on Iran actually being involved in the act of terrorism
directed against the United States. Several senior Air Force officers
involved in the planning are reportedly appalled at the implications of
what they are doing ­ that Iran is being set up for an unprovoked
nuclear attack ­ but no one is prepared to damage his career by posing
any objections."

Two points leap out at the reader ­ or, at least, this reader ­ quite
apart from the moral implications of dropping nukes on Iran. The first
is the completely skewed logic: if Iran has nothing to do with 9/11-II,
then why target Tehran? As in Iraq, it's all a pretext: only this time,
the plan is to use nuclear weapons. We'll wipe out the entire population
of Iran's capital city because, as Paul Wolfowitz said in another
context, "it's doable."

The other weird aspect of this "nuke Iran" story is the triggering
mechanism: a terrorist attack in the U.S. on the scale of 9/11. While it
is certain that our government has developed a number of scenarios for
post-attack action, one has to wonder: why develop this plan at this
particular moment? What aren't they telling us?

I shudder to think about it.

The more I look at it, and the more I think of it, the more I sense a
monumental evil casting its shadow over the world, and I have to tell
you, it makes me wonder how much more time I want to spend on this
earth. In my more pessimistic moments, I doubt whether we can avoid the
horrific fate that seems to await us just around the next corner, the
next moment, looming over the globe like a gigantic devil stretching its
wings and blotting out the sun.

It seems to me that the question of whether life is really worth living
anymore is inextricably bound up with the question of whether or not
these madmen can be stopped. If not, then the only alternative is to
live it up while we can and laugh defiantly in the face of the
apocalypse. Why write columns, why comment at all, if we can't have any
effect on the outcome? On the other hand, some ask

"Surely the New York Times and the Washington Post can find a lede here:
'US has plan to nuke Tehran if another 9/11.' Can we get at least a
bloody story out of this?"

Might I suggest another lede?: "Armageddon approaches." Or perhaps, for
the literary-mind secularists among us: "After many a summer dies mankind."

Where oh where is the "mainstream" media on this? That's a laughable
question, because the answer is heartbreakingly obvious: they are
nowhere to be found, and for a very good reason. As the Valerie Plame
case is making all too clear, the MSM has been a weapon in the hands of
the War Party at every step on the road to World War IV. It's an
American tradition. As William Randolph Hearst famously put it to an
employee in the run-up to the Spanish-American conflict of 1898:

"You furnish the pictures, I'll furnish the war."

Any objective examination of the Anglo-American media's role as a
megaphone for this administration's "talking points" would have to
conclude that the Hearst school of journalism has been dominant since
well before the invasion of Iraq. Aside from the post-9/11 hysteria that
effectively swept away all pretenses of a critical stance, the MSM was
well acclimated to simply reiterating the U.S. government line on
matters of war and peace all through the Clinton era, when friendly
media coverage of the Balkans and numerous other Clintonian
interventions habituated the press corps to a certain mindset. By the
time the Bush administration set out on a campaign of deception designed
to lie us into invading and occupying Iraq, the MSM was largely
reconciled to playing the role of the government's amen corner.

With the U.S. and British media in the pocket of the Powers That Be,
what hope is there that the American people ­ who don't believe anything
if they don't see it on television ­ will awaken to the danger in time?
Again, in my more pessimistic moments, there doesn't seem to be any such
hope: television news seems firmly in the camp of the War Party, and the
"mainstream" print media also doesn't seem a likely venue for this kind
of reporting.

On my more optimistic days, however, I almost believe it's possible to
outflank the War Party on the media front ­ because the Internet is a
mighty weapon that will defeat them in the end. A recent Pew study shows
that this is not just a technophilic fantasy:

"The Internet continues to grow as a source of news for Americans.
One-in-four (24%) list the internet as a main source of news. Roughly
the same number (23%) say they go online for news every day, up from 15%
in 2000; the percentage checking the Web for news at least once a week
has grown from 33% to 44% over the same time period.

"While online news consumption is highest among young people (those
under age 30), it is not an activity that is limited to the very young.
Three-in-ten Americans ages 30-49 cite the Internet as a main source of
news.

"The importance of the Web for people in their working years is even
more apparent when the frequency of use is taken into account. One-third
of people in their 30s say they get news online every day, as do 27% of
people in their 40s. Nearly a quarter of people in their 50s get news
online daily, about the same rate as among people ages 18-29."

What this means is that we can put the news the MSM won't cover ­ e.g.,
the story about Cheney's Dr. Strangelove plan to strike Iran ­ on the
front page of Antiwar.com and potentially reach one-in-four Americans.
Last month we had over 2 million readers; this month is headed toward
the same range ­ and that's in summertime, a traditionally slow time for
us. Yet we're setting new records.

This, it seems to me, is the only reason for hope: a strategy of doing
an end run around the mass media. We must mount a last desperate attempt
to stand athwart the apocalypse shouting "No!" The alternative doesn't
bear thinking about.

Never for a minute did any of us who founded Antiwar.com imagine we
would one day be front and center in a twilight struggle to protect the
country and the world from such a monumental evil, and yet here we are,
a band of hobbits up against all the dark powers of Mordor. Without
getting any more melodramatic than is absolutely unavoidable, I can only
note that we've come a long way on our quest to rid the world of this
particular Ring of Power, and the battle seems to be reaching some sort
of dramatic climax. As to whether or not the Cheney-neocon-War Party
axis of evil will be defeated in the end, no one can confidently predict
at the moment. Yet one thing does seem clear: as long as Antiwar.com is
around, we have at least a fighting chance.

I want to thank each and every one of our readers who have supported us
down through the years, even as I remind them that their future support
is even more vitally important than ever before. Together we can beat
the War Party ­ but not without constant vigilance. We stand on the
watchtower just as long as you, our readers and supporters, keep us
there. I hope and trust we will continue until the end ­ whatever that
end may turn out to be.

- - Justin Raimondo

http://antiwar.com/justin/?articleid=6734