[Mb-civic] Jimmy Carter blasts Iraq War

ean at sbcglobal.net ean at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 1 22:39:22 PDT 2005

Published on Sunday, July 31, 2005 by the Associated Press
Carter Criticizes Iraq War, Detentions at Guantanamo
'Unnecessary and Unjust'
by Cassandra Vinograd

BIRMINGHAM, England -- Former President Carter said Saturday the
detention of terror suspects at the Guantanamo Bay Naval base was
an embarrassment and had given extremists an excuse to attack the
United States.

Carter also criticized the U.S.-led war in Iraq as "unnecessary and
unjust."

"I think what's going on in Guantanamo Bay and other places is a
disgrace to the U.S.A.," he told a news conference at the Baptist World
Alliance's centenary conference in Birmingham, England. "I wouldn't
say it's the cause of terrorism, but it has given impetus and excuses to
potential terrorists to lash out at our country and justify their despicable
acts."

Carter said, however, that terrorist acts could not be justified, and that
while Guantanamo "may be an aggravating factor ... it's not the basis
of terrorism."

Critics of President Bush's administration have long accused the U.S.
government of unjustly detaining terror suspects at the Guantanamo
Bay Naval Base on the southeastern tip of Cuba. Hundreds of men
have been held indefinitely at the prison, without charge or access to
lawyers.

"What has happened at Guantanamo Bay ... does not represent the
will of the American people," Carter said Saturday. "I'm embarrassed
about it, I think its wrong. I think it does give terrorists an unwarranted
excuse to use the despicable means to hurt innocent people."

Earlier this month, Carter called for the Guantanamo prison to be shut
down, saying reports of abuses there were an embarassment to the
United States. He also said that the United States needs to make sure
no detainees are held incommunicado and that all are told the charges
against them.

Carter, who won the 2002 Nobel Peace Prize, has been an outspoken
critic of the Iraq war.

"I thought then, and I think now, that the invasion of Iraq was
unnecessary and unjust. And I think the premises on which it was
launched were false," he said Saturday.

The Baptist World Alliance, comprising more than 200 Baptist unions
around the world, was formed in London in 1905. The headquarters of
the alliance, which meets in a different location every five years,
moved to the United States in 1947.

An estimated 12,700 delegates gathered in the city of Birmingham in
central England for the conference. Carter, a Sunday school teacher in
his hometown of Plains, Ga., was due to lead a Bible study lesson
during the conference.

He praised British police and intelligence services for the swift arrests
in connection with the July 21 failed bombing attempts on London's
transit system.

"I'm very proud to be in a nation that stands so stalwart against
terrorism with us," he said. "The people of my country have united our
hearts and sympathy for the tragedy that you have suffered from
terrorism."

© 2005 The Associated Press

###

--
You are currently on Mha Atma's Earth Action Network email list,
option D (up to 3 emails/day).  To be removed, or to switch options

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
   ---   George Orwell