[Mb-civic] (no subject)

Hawaiipolo at cs.com Hawaiipolo at cs.com
Thu Apr 21 19:09:43 PDT 2005

 Print This Story E
The Green Dream Is Alive
By Kelpie Wilson
t r u t h o u t | Perspective
Thursday 21 April 2005
Maybe it's just the springtime, but I'm here to tell you that this Earth Day
the Green Dream is alive. How can you not feel that way after you've just
spent the day setting thrifty little lettuce and broccoli starts out in a
well-manured field?
We've got to keep reminding ourselves of the Green Dream because, let's face
it: these are hard times for green-leaning folks as we see so many of our
worst Cassandra-like predictions coming true. Even those of us who have shouted
about global warming for years are surprised to see how quickly the climate is
changing right now. The just-released Millennium Ecosystem Assessment, which
brought together nearly 1,400 experts from 95 countries, told us that we have
degraded nearly 60% of the planet's capacity to support life with clean air,
water and food. Then there is Peak Oil. Like most environmentalists, I knew it
was coming - it's basic physics - yeah, we're going to run out of oil. But I
believed those bastards when they said it wouldn't happen for another 20 years.
Let the grandkids worry about it.
The entire energy industry needs to be prosecuted for concealing the true
state of their oil and gas reserves. The SEC has already fined Shell Oil $120
million for inflating their oil holdings in order to keep their stock price high.
This is just the beginning of the unveiling of an accounting rip-off that
will make Enron and WorldCom look like peanuts, if it ever gets going. Someone
also needs to take the US Energy Information Agency to court for broadcasting
falsely that the world-wide peak of oil production would not hit us until
sometime between 2020 and 2030. Right now we don't know if the real peak is
happening today or if it will happen two or three years from now, but it's clearly
breathing down our necks. How on God's green earth has such incompetence been
tolerated?
Well, here we are. The House Republicans want us to give another 10 billion
or so in tax breaks to the fossil fuel industry to somehow motivate them to get
off their duffs and find more oil. What if they gave that $10 billion back to
us as rebates so we could all invest in a little personal energy
independence?
Wouldn't it be great to have $10,000 to put some solar panels on your roof?
Ten billion dollars could put those solar panels on 100,000 roofs. If we'd been
doing that for the last ten years, we'd have a million solar roofs by now.
It's a time to plant, to invest, to give back to the Earth.
With gas prices up, President Bush now wants to talk to us about energy
conservation and energy independence. Will he do it? Will he actually tell us to
put on a sweater when we're cold instead of turning up the thermostat? What
about car mileage standards? What will he do about the big lots full of SUVs and
monster trucks that Detroit all of a sudden can't sell? How did we get here?
How can we find our way back to some sanity?
The fertilizer the Green Dream needs is exactly what it is getting right now:
the simple truth of our situation. The American Dream as articulated since
the 1950s - the suburban, two cars in every garage, ultra-convenient, mall world
dream - is history.
Once there was another version of the American Dream. Thomas Jefferson's
yeoman farmers would live free and independent, producing according to their own
needs and living a simple, virtuous life that would make them model citizens.
This kind of self-sufficient farmer is an endangered species today. But perhaps
it is a dream worth reviving. Once we find something to do with all the SUVs,
we will be tearing up the suburban asphalt and planting gardens.
Do you remember the rabbit lady in Michael Moore's film "Roger and Me?" Go
get that film if you haven't seen it. The rabbit lady, struggling to survive in
the trashed economy of Flint, Michigan, raised and sold rabbits, her sign on
the road advertising Rabbits - Pets or Meat. To me the rabbit lady is a
beautiful example of American resourcefulness. We all have that kind of strength and
pride, if only we would be called upon to use it.
So many of us are yearning to pitch in now, to do something, to plant a seed.
Here are the usual "what you can do to save the planet" Earth Day
suggestions, but instead of thinking of them as chores to add to an already endless list,
think of them as investments in a better future.
Get your body in shape. We'll all be walking and biking a lot more in the
future, so we might as well start now. And it's so good for you. Getting in shape
does not mean getting skinny. Fat is good for you too. Just keep it moving.

Eat good food. Try to eat whole, unprocessed food like rice and vegetables,
organically grown and locally grown if possible. Food processing and transport
use a lot of energy. At the same time, over-processed food zaps your personal
energy.

Buy some power strips. Check every single appliance you have plugged into a
wall outlet and see if it draws current even when the switch is turned off. If
it is warm to the touch it's drawing current. Lots of devices suck these
"vampire loads" so we won't have to wait for them to warm up when we turn them on.
Plug them into the power strip and turn them all the way off. Turn them back
on when you need them - and wait.

Buy a bunch of super-efficient light bulbs (either compact fluorescents or
the new high efficiency LED lights) and replace every incandescent bulb in your
house with one.

Plant a garden. Even if it's just a window box with some lettuces or a tomato
plant in a pot on the deck. Join with friends and plant a community garden
and make it fun! Raise rabbits.

Invest in solar electricity, solar heating and energy efficient appliances.
The payback time in power bill savings may be a little long right now, but when
energy prices shoot through the roof, you'll be glad you did.
Below I've added a few Internet links for further exploration. Happy Earth
Day!

Fat is not so bad.
http://www.truthout.org/issues_05/042005HC.shtml
Good fat is good (the new food pyramid).
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050420/sfw099.html?.v=6
How to kill vampire loads and a host of energy conservation tips.
http://www.energyconservationinfo.org/almanac.htm
My favorite energy education site.
http://www.energyquest.ca.gov/
LED lights may soon replace bulbs.
http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200~20950~2818906,00.html
Kids can sell energy saving light bulbs to raise money for school projects.
http://www.uwsp.edu/cnr/wcee/keep/studentinvolvement/
A source of LED lights, solar modules and energy saving appliances.
http://www.realgoods.com
Urban vs. Rural Sustainability
http://www.energybulletin.net/3757.html
End of Suburbia
http://www.friendsofthetrees.net/2005article_endofsuburbia.htm
Peak Oil and Permaculture in the Suburbs
http://www.postcarbon.org/
Homepower Magazine
http://www.homepower.org
This site has a database of solar installers.
http://www.seia.org/
Database of state incentives for renewable energy.
http://www.dsireusa.org/
Solar Today - Magazine of the American Solar Energy Society
http://www.solartoday.org/
The National Renewable Energy Lab
http://www.nrel.gov
Kelpie Wilson is the t r u t h o u t environment editor. A veteran forest
protection activist and mechanical engineer, she writes from her solar-powered
cabin in the Siskiyou Mountains of southwest Oregon.
-------
Jump to today's TO Issues:                                                 &

Print This Story E-mail This Story

© : t r u t h o u t 2005 | t r u t h o u t | FYI | issues | environment |
labor | women | health | voter rights | multimedia | donate | contact | subscribe