[Mb-civic] US Takes the Lead in Trashing Planet

ean at sbcglobal.net ean at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 20 22:27:46 PDT 2005

Published on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 by the Boston
Globe

US Takes the Lead in Trashing Planet
by Derrick Z. Jackson

For more than four years, President Bush has told us he
needs to see the ''sound science" on global warming
before joining the rest of the world in combating it. In June
2001, he brushed off criticism of his pullout from the Kyoto
Protocol, saying: ''It was not based upon science. The
stated mandates in the Kyoto treaty would affect our
economy in a negative way."

A year later, Bush's own Environmental Protection Agency
put out a report that the burning of fossil fuels in the
human activities of industry and automobiles are huge
contributors to the greenhouse effect. He publicly trashed
the report, embarrassing then-EPA administrator Christine
Todd Whitman, saying, ''I read the report put out by the
bureaucracy."

Now comes a new study, by a bureaucracy representing
just about the whole planet. It is the Millennium Ecosystem
Assessment, commissioned by the United Nations in 2000
at a cost of $24 million and compiled by 1,360 experts
from 95 countries. It is the latest in dire reports as to how
we are doing the planet in and, implicitly, how the United
States puts its interests and pollution over the welfare of
the rest of the planet.

The report said human beings, whose numbers have
doubled to 6 billion, have changed the world's ecosystems
more in the last 50 years than in any other period in our
pursuit of food, fuel, water, and wood products. More land
was converted to agriculture since World War II than in the
18th and 19th centuries combined.

Those conversions, aggravated by the use of synthetic
nitrogen fertilizers, have led to 10 to 30 percent of
mammal, bird, and amphibian species facing the threat of
extinction. Highlights of what we have already lost in the
last 50 years include: 20 percent of the world's coral reefs,
with another 20 percent seriously degraded, and 35
percent of the world's mangroves.

The dilemma is that many of the changes in agricultural,
fishing, and industrial technology have had incredible
benefits for human beings, including the reduction of
hunger and poverty. But in the process, 60 percent of the
services the world's ecosystems provide, from basic food
to disease management to aesthetic enjoyment, have
been degraded. One example that is particularly painful in
New England and Atlantic Canada is the collapse of
fishing stocks.

''Any progress achieved in addressing the goals of poverty
and hunger eradication, improved health, and
environmental protection is unlikely to be sustained if most
of the ecosystem services on which humanity relies
continue to be degraded," the study said.

The study offered several scenarios of how humans can
halt the degrading of the planet. The most obvious
strategies involve a global economy where the sharing of
education, skills, technology, and resources leads to a
reduction in poverty and pressures on local environments.
The worst possible scenario is one called ''Order from
Strength," which results in ''a regionalized and fragmented
world, concerned with security and protection,
emphasizing primarily regional markets, paying little
attention to public goods, and taking a reactive approach
to ecosystem problems."

That precisely describes the United States. We consume
a quarter of the world's energy, are the world's leading
contributor to the greenhouse gases of global warming,
and take advantage of agriculture in all parts of the world
so we can have fresh peaches, peppers, and berries 365
days a year if we wish. Not surprisingly, the Millennium
Ecosystem Assessment has been out for two weeks and
there has not been a peep out of the administration on it --
the same administration that needed no sound science on
weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

The assessment was cochaired by the World Bank's chief
scientist, Robert Watson. Watson was formerly NASA's
chief environmental scientist and environmental adviser in
the Clinton administration. Watson said two weeks ago
that the study reinforces his belief that climate change
''may become the most dominant threat to ecological
systems over the next hundred years."

The World Bank has been in the news for other reasons,
being so important to Bush that he had the right-wing
defense hawk Paul Wolfowitz installed as president. It will
be interesting, once Wolfowitz -- hardly known for his
caring about birds, insects, and Iraqi civilians -- is fully in
power, how much more Watson and the World Bank will
speak out about how we are doing ourselves in. Watson
speaks for 1,360 experts from 95 countries. It's only a
matter of time before we hear Wolfowitz saying, ''I read
the report put out by the bureaucracy."

© 2005 Boston Globe

###

--
You are currently on Mha Atma's Earth Action Network email list,
option D (up to 3 emails/day).  To be removed, or to switch options

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
   ---   George Orwell