[Mb-civic] You stopped fake news! FCC heard your voice

ean at sbcglobal.net ean at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 18 22:34:03 PDT 2005

On March 13, we launched the Stop Fake News  campaign. Since
then, over 26,933 of you sent a message directly to the Federal
Communications Commission (FCC) and the U.S. Department of
Justice.

Today, we can declare a major victory! The FCC has heard your voice
and declared that TV broadcasters must disclose the source of video
news releases (VNRs) produced by the government.

This is what today's Washington Post article, "Broadcasters Must
Reveal Video Clips' Sources, FCC Says," said:

Television broadcasters must disclose to viewers the origin of video
news releases produced by the government or corporations when the
material runs on the public airwaves, the Federal Communications
Commission said yesterday.
The FCC's ruling comes as video news releases produced by the Bush
administration and aired as part of local television news reports have
come under attack from critics who call them unlabeled Republican
propaganda.
-- Read the full Washington Post Article

FCC commissioners Michael Copps and Jonathan Adelstein said that
public comments such as the 26,933 comments from our community
were critical in provoking this announcement.

FCC Commissioner Michael Copps:
"Everyone understands that a story cannot be judged without knowing
its source, but increasingly the source goes unreported. Recently tens
of thousands of citizens contacted the FCC demanding an
investigation into the failure of broadcasters to disclose their use of
government-generated "news" stories. They were right to do so. This
Commission should investigate each such case. And it should
strenuously enforce the rules against inadequate sponsorship
identification." (emphasis added)
-- Read Commissioner Copps' Full Statement. (PDF)

FCC Commissioner Jonathan Adelstein:
"We have recently received a large number of complaints from the
public about VNRs that were created by or for the federal government,
and which were broadcast on television stations without identifying the
government's role in developing the VNR." (emphasis added)
-- Read Commissioner Adelstein's Full Statement. (PDF)

You can read the full FCC Public Notice on VNRs by clicking here.
(PDF)

As in our StopSinclair campaign, you have shown that when we speak
together, with one voice, we can Start Change. This is just the
beginning. We will continue to keep our eyes on government-produced
newscasts and other fake news that this administration produces, but
today is a major victory. Enjoy it!

Thank you for making this possible,

Arkadi, Marc, Tim and the entire StartChange Team
www.StartChange.org

Excited about this successful campaign? Help us do more.
Contribute to StartChange today.

--
You are currently on Mha Atma's Earth Action Network email list,
option D (up to 3 emails/day).  To be removed, or to switch options

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
   ---   George Orwell