[Mb-civic] Anti-War Activists Promote "Tax Resistance" As Direct Protest

ean at sbcglobal.net ean at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 15 19:40:50 PDT 2005

http://newstandardnews.net/content/index.cfm/items/1675

Anti-War Activists Promote ‘Tax Resistance’ As Direct Protest
by Martha Baskin (bio)

Plenty of Americans will miss this year's deadline for federal income
tax filing, but for one segment of society, refusing to file or withholding
partial funds is a very personal and direct form of protesting
burgeoning US military expenditures.

Apr 12 - By April 15, the Internal Revenue Service estimates that 132
million individual income tax returns will be filed and that two trillion
dollars will be collected for the US Treasury. But in protest of the
federal government's military expenditures, an estimated ten thousand
people will not file their taxes or will deliberately withhold money from
the IRS this year.

Glen Milner, an electrician and father of three in Seattle, Washington,
files his taxes every year. His approach, however, is unusual. On the
top of his 1040 form he writes in large print: "Some taxes withheld in
protest of funds appropriated for illegal military purposes."

"What I'm doing," says Milner, "is telling the IRS right up front that
somewhere in the form I'm withholding funds." He doesn't tell the
agency where the missing funds are, but Milner has filed his taxes in
this manner since 1985. A conscientious objector during the Vietnam
War and an active proponent of US nuclear disarmament, Milner says
he is putting his money "where his mouth is." He cannot resist
militarization and war and pay for it at the same time, he says.

The government spends over half of its annual budget on past, present
and future military expenses, before even considering tens of billions in
supplementary funding allocated by Congress for ongoing wars such
as those in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Antimilitarist tax resisters are fond of noting Principle IV of the
Nuremberg Principles, drawn up to punish some individuals who
committed crimes against humanity during the Second World War.
"The fact that a person acted pursuant to order of his Government or
of a superior," the Principle reads, "does not relieve him from
responsibility under international law, provided a moral choice was in
fact possible to him." The moral choice for Milner is clear: withhold
taxes from the government, in spite of the unpredictable risks.

A key component of serious war tax resistance is redirecting withheld
federal tax dollars to humanitarian needs. The Conscience and Military
Tax Campaign Escrow Account in Seattle is one of the largest such
repositories in the country. A kind of charitable trust, interest from the
account is granted on a yearly basis to nonprofit organizations
dedicated to peace and justice. The beneficiaries have included Casa
Maria Catholic Worker House in Milwaukee to help provide temporary
housing to the homeless; the Columbia River Fellowship for Peace in
Hood River, Oregon for counter-recruitment efforts; and the Palestine
Solidarity Committee in Seattle, which runs informational programs
about the Israel-Palestine conflict.

The escrow account, says organizer Eddie Tews, himself a tax
resister, is also a good way for tax resisters to hide assets like cash or
stocks from the IRS. "Say you owe the IRS at the end of the year,"
explained Tews. "You set it aside and put it into our account. If the IRS
ever decides to collect, the money will be available."

Tews said the account was levied once in the 1980's. "The IRS
somehow found out and we were ordered to pay -- which we didn't do."

The majority of tax resisters redirect federal income tax money
independently, choosing to donate to a wide variety of local, national
and international peace and justice organizations in critical need of
financial support.

War tax resisters find a variety of ways to withhold money. Some resist
phone taxes, others practice "W-4 resistance" by adding exemptions to
their W-4 forms other than those they are legally entitled to. Others pay
only a fraction of their taxes to reflect the portion of every dollar they
perceive as committed by the government to military expenses. Still
others simply live below the taxable income level.

The most common approach is phone tax resistance, which simply
means deducting the 3 percent federal excise tax itemized on most
telephone bills. The federal excise tax has been associated with war
throughout most of its history. First imposed on toll calls in 1898 during
the Spanish-American war era, it was removed in 1902. During World
War I it was re-imposed as a temporary tax, and continued to tax
telephone use in order to raise additional funds for wars from World
War II through Vietnam. In 1990, the tax became permanent and was
set at 3 percent.

Ruth Benn, with the National War Tax Resistance Coordinating
Committee, says Congress was close to disposing of the phone duty
prior to the September 11 terrorist attacks. In 2000, at a time of budget
surplus, the House of Representatives overwhelmingly passed HR
236, which would have repealed the 3 percent tax. The tariff survived,
however, and now the government is so desperate for money, says
Benn, that it will probably not be removed in the foreseeable future.

Many see withholding the phone tax as the least intimidating option for
tax refusal because collection of delinquent dues is up to the IRS, not
the phone company. Veteran tax resisters say the easiest way to
refuse the phone tax is to write a letter of explanation to the phone
company. Many companies, says Benn, have clear policies for war tax
resisters.

Milner, the long-time 1040 tax resister, first began resisting war tax by
not paying the federal excise tax on his phone bill. When he recently
switched phone companies from Qwest to Tel West, Milner withheld
the federal excise tax amount and wrote on his bill, "Federal tax
withheld in protest of illegal military expenditures." After internal
discussions, Tel West decided to credit the amount Milner had
deducted to his account and pay the excise tax owed to the IRS itself.

In an email to Milner, Kerry Myers, Tel West's Manager of Financial
Services wrote: "I have established this as the official Glen Milner
policy! It was easier for me to make you federal excise tax exempt until
we get our arms around how to handle [it] properly." Myers explained
that from a customer satisfaction perspective, it was easier to credit
Milner's account; especially since he is the company's sole customer
who withholds excise tax to protest military expenditures.

The IRS monitors what it calls "noncompliance," but does not maintain
a specific category of "war tax" withholding. In March the IRS issued a
paper rebutting what it refers to as "frivolous arguments" for failure to
pay taxes. These include arguments that the income tax is
unconstitutional and that taxes may be withheld as a protest against
government programs. War tax resistance would appear to fit this
category.

Asked for comment, IRS media spokesperson, Eric Smith, referred
The NewStandard to an IRS publication entitled, "The Truth About
Frivolous Arguments." Page 19 of the 56-page document reads:
"Some argue that taxpayers may refuse to pay federal income taxes
based on their religious or moral beliefs, or objection to the use of
taxes to fund certain government programs. These persons mistakenly
invoke the First Amendment in support of this frivolous position. The
First Amendment does not provide a right to refuse to pay income
taxes on religious or moral grounds, or because taxes are used to fund
government programs opposed by the taxpayer." The IRS then cites
relevant case law supporting their position.

The consequences for war tax resistance are unpredictable, as are
most direct actions for peace, says Milner. Criminal prosecution is
possible, but in practice so rare that in most cases the risk is
considered negligible. Since the modern war tax resistance movement
began in the 1940s, less than 30 people have been jailed for resisting
war taxes, the vast majority of them on convictions related to
resistance such as refusing to provide records to the government and
falsely filling out their W4 forms.

The more likely outcome is for the IRS to try collecting the tax owed
through less coercive means. Those who file but refuse to pay will
probably receive several tax-due notices and assessed penalties. Civil
penalties may be added in the 5 to 25 percent range, plus compound
interest at a rate of 10 percent. Eventually, the IRS will send a "Final
Notice" letter that may take years to initiate more serious steps.

"They're all meant to intimidate you," said Tews, the Escrow account
organizer, of the collection process.

Once the IRS issues a "final demand," its power of collection includes
garnishing wages, seizing bank accounts and, in reportedly rare
instances, seizing cars and houses. The National War Tax Resistance
Coordinating Committee's website lists all of twelve tax resisters
whose cars or houses were seized in the 1980s. Ruth Benn, member
of the Committee, says the practice has become less and less
common.

In Glen Milner's 22 years of withholding taxes, the IRS has audited him
twice, with no additional taxes owed. He has also seen his wages
garnished once from his union employer, once had monies taken from
his union vacation fund and once more from his bank account. Milner
admits that he and his wife, Karol Milner, were "scared to death" when
they first began withholding money on their 1040 form. He reasons,
however, that in a "democratic" society such as the United States,
individuals have the responsibility to check their government's illegal
actions, especially those connected to the war in Iraq and the nation's
massive arsenal of nuclear weapons.

On the other hand, some non-filers may go undetected for years. In
1994, Tews himself began practicing war tax resistance by refusing to
pay the IRS hundreds of dollars annually. Every year, he says, the IRS
demands payment by sending him a couple of letters, which he
discards. In subsequent years Tews has avoided paying federal taxes
altogether by practicing what he calls "W-4 resistance" or adding more
exemptions than he's legally entitled to.

Nevertheless, Tews says the IRS has never audited him. "If I consent
to pay more taxes, then more bombs are dropped, more pollution is
made and more lives are destroyed; and if I have to suffer some
infinitesimal level of consequences as a result of my actions compared
to the consequences suffered by other people as a result of [me]
consenting to pay my taxes, well to me that's -- it's not even worth
talking about," he said.

Tax resistance is not a highly publicized component of the peace
movement. The National War Tax Resistance Coordinating Committee
consists of a network of organizations and tax counseling services.
There is a strong religious element, marked in part by the involvement
of Quakers, Mennonites, and members of the Fellowship of
Reconciliation.

A more recent affiliate is the Chicago-based Voices in the Wilderness.
Founded in 1996 to end economic and military sanctions against the
Iraqi people, the organization has since expanded its objectives and
urges serious peace advocates to engage in tax resistance.

"The one thing that the US government wants from most average,
ordinary people in regards to this war is our money," says Kathy Kelley,
one of the founders of Voices in the Wilderness. "From most of us,
they don't want our lives – we certainly think of those who are being
enlisted – but the reality of what the government wants is people to pay
for this war and not to ask a lot of questions about it."

Kelley has been a war tax resister for most of her working life. She
says she began by lowering her salary below the taxable income when
she taught religion at a Jesuit school in Chicago. When she moved to
one of Chicago's poorest neighborhoods on the north side at the height
of the arms race between the former Soviet Union and the US, Kelley
says she could not talk religion and then turn around and pay for a
weapons build-up that could destroy the planet.

"The contradiction was just too much," she recalled. "I certainly
couldn't take money that my neighbors desperately needed for food,
for housing, for a drop-in center, for an alternative school – for so
many needs in this impoverished area. I couldn't say well I don't have
funds because I'm going to put it into buying more weapons."

She added, "I'm through with buying materials to kill people. Once you
make that decision – if you really believe it – you can make it for a
lifetime and then it's possible to withhold all federal income tax."

© 2005 The NewStandard. See our reprint policy.

--
You are currently on Mha Atma's Earth Action Network email list,
option D (up to 3 emails/day).  To be removed, or to switch options

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
   ---   George Orwell